transcoding xvid to dvd

Michel

Heya,

I converted a xvid to dvd using transcode, but I have a problem using it with a normal dvd-player. The xvid was 16:9 (576x320). When I play it on the dvd the movie is shown on the upper half of the screen instead of teh full screen. I looked around a littl ebit and found that there is something like anamorphic 19:6 (in which most commercial dvd's are stored it seems). I don't get it completely, but I think it means that the movie is stored on the dvd in 4:3 (or has a longer length in X-axis or so than the X-width of a tv ). Anyway if you would play it on a "normal" 4:3 tv the picture is strected vertically. When you switch to 19:6 bars appear on top and bottom and it displays ok. This is so that when switching to hdtv or so ... (anyway 16:9 tv's) will ensure that the quality is still ok.

SO, I have to enlarge may mpeg2 from 576x320 to 720x576... I don't want to reencode from xvid to mpeg2 ... please :). Anyway when I scale the mpeg2 up to 720x576 the picture quality gets bad from time to time ..really not enjoyable. When I watch the current mpeg2 with xine and make it full-screen on my pc (1024x768) the picture-quality is still ok...so I suppose it is possible to make it stiil look ok 720x576. When I do it now some moments get really blocky. I tried to set mpeg2enc with E 1, no movement searching, ...I still get bad quality.

S (again :)), is the resolution indeed the reason why it won't display correctly on the dvd-player... The dvd-player stretches the movie so it takes up the complete X-length, but in the height uit only occupies the upper half of the screen. The lower contains some strange lines ....

My self-made menu use 4:3 btw. (Like you may have noticed..this is for a PAL-system ).

Doesn anyone now a good tool upscale the mpeg2 and if needed the xvid ....so it still will look ok.

I tried to upscale the xvid and write out the raw yuv-stream and it looks ok, ..so it is in the mpeg-encoding that it gets bad ... but this can be because of teh upscaling maybe.... But if I could upscale the mpeg2 I already have at 576x320, I would be even mroe happy :).

Thanks.

Edited by Michel

thanks anyway.

I found a way to enlarge it using pipes and yuvscaler with the bicubic algorithm. There si no quality loss as far as I can SEE..really impressivem but it takes 30 hours and yuvscaler crashed on me after 182000 frames of the 250000. This means after 20 hours or so after encoding ..long enough... It's driving me mad.... I have to encode during 20 hours and hope it will get over it? I'm trying again after I modified some stuff, but I also read that the mjpef-tool had a limit of 2 GB at the moment or so (maybe it's fixed now, someone??) and when it crashes the file is 2,1 GB it says ... hmmmm.... getting stressed about this ......

If I succeed, I'll post my commandline. Btw, Gowator... I'm decoding the xbid to raw YUV...so this method shoudl also work from any other format I think. I'm not sure if the quantisation would be ok...but since it is yuv .... Maybe not because it froms xvbid, but anyway, you could check the size after encoding some frames and estimate the final size... don't forget to include the size of the audio stream (for people wanting to do this too)!!!

It's the resizing (enlarging) to 720x576 that slows this down to a crawl, but the quality is nice, like I mentionned before.

All remarks are welcome...

The 2GB sounds like an old kernel restriction ....

I have problems with older stuff at work compiled for Solaris 2.51 which is prior to 2.6 when the 2GB limit was lifted.

What file system are you using ... I know xfs should be fine with this...

indeed it was more or less designed for it....

I'm using reiserfs and xfs. I'm still looking for a solution. Maybe it's because of yuvscaler..don't know at the moment, but it takes 20 hours before I know if it will work ... I tried skipping the frames I already had, but yuvscaler complains that the frame-nukmbering doesn't start with 0 .. that's what I think anyway.

For the people interesting ..I solved it by installing the latest transcode (cvs) from source. I also installed mpjpegtools 1.6.1.93 (think that si right ..withj later versiopns transcode wouldn't compile). I would recommend to everyone to compile these apps from source or have apps thaty have the optimisation-code for their processors? Just by also compiling mjpegtools from source, I got a 1/3 speed-increase. SO instead of a 30 hours -process it became a 20 hour ..evev :) less ,... around 17-18, I think. The modfying of teh frame-rate and the encoding alone go a lot fater. I think around 7-8 hours for a 3 hour movie. I also upscaled to 720*576..

If anyone wants the command I used...just ask... :D.

Edited by Michel