Share cable connection

rockybalboa

The MDK network "wizard" has failed me multiple times. I am not using shorewall. I loaded Firestarter, but have kept it off during network setup. The wizard will reconize my LAN NIC but the signal doesn't get through for whatever reason. It hosed my modem->machine connection twice. When I get the server machine(MDK 10) set up I still can't ping the client (Winduhs 98SE).

I decided to abandon the wizard and do it manually. Problem is there are about 10 different ways suggested around the web, and none of them mention MDK 10. I went to linux man pages and they seem to written for something prior to MDK 10 also. I'll read and apply anything that may work at this point.

Also, in the course of troublshooting I physically uninstalled the two NICs and reinstalled them. I doubt it's hardware because it still works in Winbloze XP.

Thanks,

Dan

Assuming your cable system uses DHCP, and since you mentioned having 2 nics installed...make nic #1 (etho) your connection to the 'Net with DHCP. Just get your 'Net connection working with that 1st. Then make nic #2 (eth1) a static IP (like 192.168.0.1) for your 2nd box. Give the Winshaft box a static IP (like 192.168.0.2) and the correct subnet. You won't use Internet Connection Sharing in Mandrake Control Center - that sets up a DHCP sever on your Linux box for connecting to the 2nd box, which you really don't need in this case.

If you can't get it going, post the result of (as root):

# ifconfig

So we can see what you've done so far. Here's the relevent parts of my ifconfig output, using the same configuration described above:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:05:5D:49:73:2C

inet addr:65.30.15.247 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.252.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:18:89:18:7C

inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

Your Linux box will do the routing and firewalling for your Windex box's tender ass once you get things working and re-enable Firestarter. If enabling Firestarter kills things, of course you'll need to re-configure it, but I don't use Firestarter for firewalling, so I'll leave help with that to someone who does.