NTFS support

Guest Drezliok

Guest Drezliok

My first post here ever...

Anyways, I'm pretty new to linux, I have used it on and off for about a year playing with many Distros finding this Mandrake 9.2 and 10CE the best for me now.

I noticed that I could have NTFS support if I installed the packages.

How good are the packages?

Why don't they have it set to auto install when it finds NTFS on one of the partitians?

Is this safe?

Should I instead make WinXP see ext2/ext3 file systems and just pull over what I want from XP?

the ntfs modules are fine for reading - dodgy for writing to ntfs. If you set up a mount point for an ntfs partition (you can do this in MCC or simply in /etc/fstab) then the module will be autoloaded (you might need hotplug installed - not sure)

I reckon you picked an entirely reasonable place to post your query - but that's just me :D

Hi!

By default a NTFS partition can be read. On my computer I have Win Xp Pro and I read the data on it without any problem...

About writing, the description of the kernel module to write onto a NTFS partition says:

WARNING: Do not use this option unless you are actively developing NTFS as it is currently guaranteed to be broken and you may lose all your data!

So, I think one should avoid writing on a NTFS partition. Moreover, I read in the developers site for NTFS support that the module works (more or less) with Windows NT since there are variouse versions of this file system (all not properly documented :oops).

Bye :D