Newbie unable to install Mandrake

Guest pgerrish

Guest pgerrish

:help: I am completely new to Linux, for 12 years have been in the MS world but thought that I should have a look at Linux (Mandrake 10) I have built new machine (details below) and installed XP without problem – but Linux has been not a pleasant experience so far. As I do wish to try it if there is any advice that would be appreciated. Sequence and problems is a below

Mandrake 10 download and the 3 images burnt to CDRom but will nor boot from CD, even though XP did. To solve this floppy created from Mandrake and the install loads and find the CD.

Mandrake will not go past the hardware detection part, says detects imm and ppa devices (don’t know what they are) but when I press continue it says “error-no valid devices to create new file system”. This seems not to be finding the hard disk.

I have tried Mandrake 9.1 with floppy boot up and this has installed with no problems that I can see. I had hoped that from this I could upgrade to Mandrake 10 but cannot see a way of doing it and when I try Mandrake 10 it still does not find hard dish and gives same error. I have tried to reinstall the 9.1 to repair the Drakeuser problem mentioned below and also install some software e.g. MySQL as I put few added applications on initially – now even though 9.1 will boot from hard disk via LILO the 9.1 installation disk has same problem as 10, detects imm and ppa and then asks me to choose another device. All I have is standard IDEs on the motherboard. I have tried “linux rescue” and “linux noauto” at F1 prompt with no success.

Questions:

Can I upgrade 9.1 to 10 from within Linux and avoid the detection problem – if so how? Normally in XP I would open a CD and run setup.exe but cannot see any way of doing this when I open the mandrake 10 CD in KDE File manager. My setup is very standard and I am surprised that 10 cannot find hard disks but 9.1 could initially it but does not seem to now.

How do I find what 9.1 detected on its successful install; I have looked in KDE hardware but see nothing that is listed in the list presented to me in the install.

When I try the DrakeUser interface it worked first time and then froze/crashed (required reboot) and and said that either the file (?) gsmc or pmsc in temp directory already exists or is locked. I managed to login as root and deleted these two files. Now I just get another generic error. How do I go about repairing a program in Linux in windows I would just reinstall that program

Should I try another distro?

Many thanks

Paul

Sheffield UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte K7 Triton (GA7S748L), AMD XP2700, Memory 512mb DDR

Realtek Integrated sound and Ethernet controllers

Quantum 30Gb Fireball on IDE1

(14Gb Windows Fat32 partition, 14Gb Linux partition and 0.5Gb Linux swap)

LG DVD/CDRom (Master) Plexor CDRW (Slave) on IDE2

Geoforce2 Mx graphics card

Generic Winmodem

First question to ask about your downloaded MDK 10:

Did you do the checksums on the iso's (before CD burning) to be sure they were not corrupted?

Edited by cjc

Guest pgerrish

Thnaks for the reply.

For the first time in 5 days after posting the query I have made success. yes I did do the checksum and they were all OK on download. The answer seems to be something to do with "autodetection of CD" and thinking they are SCSi even after it has accessed them to boot from them either directly or from boot floop.

Eventually aftre days of trying success:

1. Booted from Disc 2 Mandrake 10

2. Choose F1 options and then Expert Mode

3. When it got to question "which driver should I try to gain access to SCSI" I choose CDRom.ko and amazingly seemed to accept it and I puit Disk I in my second drive Plextor CDRW and got the option to upgrade 9.1 (Bamboo) to 10CE; even as I type it is installing - at least it is doing something.

This does eem like basic DVDRom detection problem (mine is anout 5 years old)- pretty basic for distro that is said to have been extensively tested.

Anyway seems to have installed and is running - now just got to work out Linux works!!

Paul

Sheffield UK

You poor man. That CD boot problem has been known about for ages and widely covered my MUB. The Mandrake 10 Community Edition required first Cd2 and then switch to CD1..

It is such a shame that you did not come into MUB to look around BEFORE you tried to install Mandy. I can assure you that the problem does NOT exist in the Official Edition.

I have the Official Edition Printed 4CDROM set and it installs no trouble at all.

Cheers. John.