Fonts problem

Nazgulled

I've see arial nor verdana fonts correctly in my browsers... the fonts are too tiny I can barely read them and the type of font is nothing liek the one it's suppposed to be...

I'm saying this because I made a website wich looks nice on windows but on linux the fonts are all messed up, they are really small and weird, is there any wayt to fix this?

I don't want to fix it just for my site but for the overall sites cuz I get this problem on some other sites too... and I want to be able to read the fonts properly.

Thanks in advance.

On Linux Verdana and Arial are not installed - these are MS fonts.

If you are using css/hmtl code like this on your website:

body {
margin: 20px 0px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
font-family: Verdana;
font-size: 10px;
color: #000000;
.copyright {
font-size: 8px;
font-weight: bold;
font-family: Verdana;

then the webbrowser 'defaults' to a sort standard font which can be very ugly, depends on the settings in the Linux browser.

You want a linux friendly code for fonts like this:

font-family: Verdana; sans-serif; sans

also check out this project: http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

which concerns getting these fonts installed on your linux system, but anna's solution is the best one to make your site look good to others.

if you aren't comfortable rebuilding rpm's as they suggest, or if you don't understand it, i could possibly build you an rpm when I get home from work this evening.

I can do that to my websites, the ones I design, but what about the ones Ido not own, there are many out there that are not like that and the letteres are so small.. I read something about this on the mozdev site but it didn't work for me... maybe it's outdated...

I designed websites for some time and enver reazlied why there was more than one font in codes like that, now I know and I'll be chagin all my css files with that, but with the sites I can't do that what should I do?

I checked that corefonts site but I seriously cna't udnerstand what to do... create an rpm file? for what? isn't that supposed to be for install stuff? why they don't create so we can install those fonts? can you explain that for me so I can understand and if possible build me an rpm and tell me what to do with it or I just ahve to double-click it, isntall it and it's done and everysite with that fonts will be visible corectly?

I'm newie so take it easy on me ;)

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this board, great community, people really helps us out here ;) thanks.

basically, they're just providing the required files for you to be able to do it. the problem is to get the MS Fonts you have to use a program called cabextract to extract them from an cab file (MS won't just give out the .ttf files), and it's just an overall pain eh. there used to be an RPM out there for Mandrake, but it's for 9.1 not 10.0.

i'll see if i can help you out when I get home, I'm on a win2k box at work :( but i'll try to make you an RPM or somehow get the .ttf files to you. this is actually something i've been meaning to do anyways :) once i get that done i'll explain what you need to do to get them working ;) it will -hopefully- be in about an hour, i'm leaving in 15 minutes, takes 15 minutes to get home, then some time to figure it all out :headbang:

ok, from what I remember from your other threads you're running mandrake 10 official edition; which is what I built the RPM in. here's the rpm:

http://codejunkies.geektyme.org/msttcorefo....3-4.noarch.rpm

you should be able to just download it to your home directory, open up your file browser, double click on it, enter your root password in the window that comes up and install. you may get something about a gpg error, just tell it to ignore it and install anyways. you'll need to restart your X server after you install. you have two options, first just do ctrl+alt+backspace and you'll see the screen flicker then you'll come back to your graphica login. if the fonts don't seem to be loaded after that, do this (the long, but gauranteed-to-work-right way):

open up a terminal (konsole in KDE)

type:

su

it will ask for your root password, enter that. then:

fc-cache -v

this will rebuild your font caches, what linux reads to know what fonts are installed. if you get any errors here post them. then:

init 3

this will take you to a non-graphical screen with a login prompt. login as root, and type:

init 5

this will bring you back to your graphical login screen, and the fonts should be loaded. test it out, let me know if everything works.

you shouldn't have to do the long way, i did it the short way and it seems to have worked.