SonyEricsson T226

Hey all,

I may be the last computer geek who finally got a mobile phone. I am wondering what everybody uses to synch and upload files to mobile phones in *nix and hopefully anybody's specific knowledge of success with the T226.

*** moved from software by phunni

Edited by phunni

Are you connecting to the phone with Bluetooth? Cus then you'll need a bluetooth stack (I recommend BlueZ). If you use Gnome, you'll need the gnome-bluetooth package (there is one for KDE as well, which I don't know/care about). The hci tools should install when you get BlueZ.

Right, so with those packages you can copy files to/from your phone. The setup can be tricky, but there is good documentation on the sites for those projects - no use in repeating it all here.

Next, you'll want to be able to sync with Evolution and you'll need Multisync for that.

And lastly, to use your phone's Internet connection (via GPRS, generally) - you need to figure out how to setup a rfcomm connection to your phone and then you can use wvdial to *99# it.

Like I said, this can all be tricky, but I have it all working with my T610 (I even control XMMS with it) and an Epox Bluetooth Dongle (good for 30 meters!). Use Google to find the projects I mentioned and follow the instructions on their pages.

Thanks a lot for that info. I will have to check into it all. I definitely like the idea of controlling xmms with the phone. I haven't noticed bluetooth mentioned about my phone, but I wouldn't doubt it's on there, just haven't read over it really well yet.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, that phone is the way of the dinosaur in my life, and I have moved on to a Samsung x427. It also does not have bluetooth, but I have purchased an off brand usb data cable for significantly cheaper. Can anybody tell me what I can use to see it's filesystem? "dmesg" finds the cable itself, but nothing additionally when I attach the phone. I would prefer to just "mount -t msdos /dev/phone /phone" or something like that.

Most phones don't have conventional memory that can be mounted, unless they take SD cards or the like... your data cable was mostly intended for syncing contacts, diary entries and sending pictures.

If the phone's memory is mountable as a usb mass storage device then an entry should show up as /dev/sd* that could be mounted.

Bluetooth push allows for a standard way of getting data to and from phone, with the cable I can only suggest Googling for +linux +"make and model of phone" and see what others have managed...