Japanese input

jalos

:devil: I just installed Mandrake 10 RC1 amd64.

Here are the problems:

1.- I cannot write japanese in a kde japanese only account.

At the installation I put japanese, spanish as optional languajes

Because I need to see filenames made with japanese (WindowsXP), I selected UNICODE utf-8 as default. I tought this was the problem, but

2.- Looking for the installed programs kinput2 and freewnn: not installed

3.- The packages doesn't exist in the installabel database.

My questions:

1.- The japanese input method is no more supported? Risk to loose the japanese market!!

2.- May be possible to install those packages from older versions?

I'm guessing here, but RC do not frequently have all the language packs. The final will. While I don't work for Mandrake, I can't imagine them excluding Japanese!

As an after thought, check if cooker has the rpm for japanses.

Hi jalos,

First of all, welcome to the board! I don't know if I can help you out with your problem, but I'll give it a go.

By Mandrake 10 RC1, do you mean Mandrake 10 Official Edition or something else?

AFAIK FreeWnn and kinput2 should be on one of the CDs you got, or in the ISOs you downloaded. But if they don't come up in the software installer in MCC, they might not be. First thing to do would be to check whether they are on the CDs you have. In mine, I think they're in /mnt/cdrom/Boot/Mandrake/RPMs (I could be wrong, but it's something like that). I am using version 9, so it might be different. Anyway, check to see if FreeWnn and kinput2 are in there and if they are, double-click them to install :D Problem solved.

If they aren't on the disk, you'll have to use urpmi. Check out this FAQ about urpmi for info about how to use it. I think kinput2 will look for FreeWnn when you run it, so you might have to reboot before you can use it. There is another way of starting FreeWnn, but I don't know what it is :unsure:

Just a side note: I tried doing this, and I haven't got it working yet. I think this might be more due to a lack of time and incorrect settings in other places than a poor installation. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

If you install those packages and it works fine, congratulations. You're luckier than I was. :angry: If not, have a look at this post -- it's actually to do with a different problem, but it might help. Note: I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know whether it helps or not. I only found it today!! :woops:

Hopefully this will help you out a bit. Good luck!

Oh, and another thing that you might find useful is this link. It's actually about SuSE, but a lot of what it says is the same for Mandrake too. I found the section about locales helps explain what all that stuff in your ~/.i18n file actually means!!

Hope this helps

Edited by alexpank

Thank a lot ixthusdan and alexpank

"check if cooker"

I downloaded the iso images, I don't know where to look for.

In the ftp server I was looking at, the cooker is the official 10 release (not the amd64 one)

Alexpank I mean Mandrakelinux 10.0 RC1 for AMD64, actually under last versions I used the excellent guide

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~stefanss/japanese/

without any problem.

My problem now is with version 10 for amd64... maybe I have to waith the new version of that guide...

Anyway thanks for your answers, specially the SUSE link can help me to do myself.

Oh, sorry Jalos. I didn't think about that bit :woops:

I saw that guide you mentioned too, but I haven't tried it out yet, cos I prefer Gnome ;) I hope someone makes a version of it for Gnome!!

BTW, if you're looking for Japanese links and software and stuff, check out the Monash Nihongo archive -- that's the uni I'm at ;) I've found it really useful for stuff to help me with Japanese, you might find something there too.