PCI modem

Peter64

I installed Mandrake 9.0 a couple of weeks ago and have been trying, without success, to get the internal modem working (ESS ES56H-PI 2839). I have searched the net and was starting to think that this winmodem (I think) cant be installed. I received a copy of LindowsOS 4 that ran from the CD on a magazine and tried it and the modem worked without a problem. When I ran "lspci" it reported the same chipset etc as Mandrake. Is it possible to see what drivers Lindows has installed for the modem and if so how.

Please realise I am very very new to Linux and am pretty old so I'm slow to learn.

Any help would be appreciated.

As you will soon find out, if you haven't allready, that the best and simplest way to get your modem working with linux, is to replace it with a hardware controlled modem, which VERY few PCI modems are.

Spinynorman

From what I can tell scanmodem will identify the chip on the card, but won't tell me the drivers Lindows loads.

I do have an external Banksia Wave Modem, however its become a challenge to get the ESS internal modem working. If it can work under LindowsOS4 I should be able to get it to work under Mandrake. I have ordered Mandrake 10, will be available May 12, perhaps it will work under the 2.6 Kernel.

Thanks for the help so far. Not going to sleep until I get the bloodything to work though. :help:

Regards