Random freeze

Big_Baller

Well it looks like a hardware problem...but windows works just dang fine. Sometimes the 10 installer would freeze. I finnaly got lucky and it didn't. Now the computer might freeze anytime between booting and about 10 minutes into mandrake. Hard freeze. No response.

System specs:

2600xp

Abit NF7-S v2

2x512 HyperX PC3200

Currently installed on a WesternDigital harddrive that has worked fine in the past.

This is the Official 10 release.

9800p video card

1 burner

1 dvd rom

I have done hard drive tests and everything works fine.

I ran memtest86 and it all checks out.

Is this some known problem in 10? Random Freeze?

Edited by Big_Baller

I had the same problem, for me the fix was going in to the bios and under Advanced Chipset Features and change the Cpu Disconnect Function from enabled to disabled.

Also if your harddrive's on Sata you might also try changing the Ext-P2P's Discard Time from the default 30us to 1ms. It's located under the Integrated Peripherals tab. If those fail to correct your problem then I'd hazzard a guess that either your mem timings might be too aggressive or a bios update might be in order. Abit released new bios's for all revisions of the NF7 on Monday. I flashed my NF7-s rev 2 board yesterday with the new 24 version and so far so good, fixed the problem of my mouse dissappearing every other re-boot in Mandrake 10. It's one of the main fixes listed and all this time I thought it was user error being as I'm new to Linux. Anyways enough babble I hope this helps.

G'luck to you,

DarkFoss

Edited by DarkFoss

I forgot to add if you ever need to reinstall Mandrake 10 look here.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=13343

I posted this at the mandrake club forums as well. Someone used it and said it worked great for them they were up and running in no time. Takes me roughly 40 min to install. I've done it alot trying out different partitions and file systems. In that post I forgot to mention that after installing you should be able to re-enable everything but the Cpu Disconnect Function. It just doesn't seem to get along with Mandrake...Fedora Core and Xandros 2 don't have this issue.