Randomly changing file permissions

red

Hiya folks,

Well i am again having a minro issue with a 9.2 box that is serving files for macs and windows machines sharing the same physical directory on the 9.2 box.

I created a folder..."share" in the usr directory and have assigned Read Write List rights to the owner (root) and the group, "group1" via Webmin File manager.

"group1" has 2 users "user1" and "user2" It seems that the rights on teh /usr/share folder are changing automatically to give Read List rights to the group and changing the group to "root" as well. this obviously causes problems when trying to connect to the box froma windows or mac machine.

Simply restoring the Write right to the group and changing the group to "group1' on the /usr/share folder, restores connectivity from the boxes.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how do I keep it from happening

Thanks,

RED

mandrake msec runs every x time and according to your security levels and the according permissions of the files, checks them and if needed change thems. This is mayeb troubling you? You can have custom security levels.

To run msec with securitylevel x type on teh commandline:

msec x

(x is the number of the secuirty level or your own number I suppose). (1 is low, 2 .., 3 is normal, 4..., 5 is paranoid :D:d:d.

the config-files for these are in /usr/share/msec

level.1 cvontains the configuration-options for level1.

perm.1 contains the files and their according owner/group/permissions settings of level 1

the perm stuff is what you maybe be looking for.

You can change this also all graphically in the mandrake control central under security.

Hopes this helps.

Michel

Thanks for the response, an I am going to guess this is the problem. To forego changing any of the default setup, I simply moved the "share" folder from /usr to / and it seems to be AOK after reconfiguring netatalk and samba.

Thankd for the help.

RED