fresh install of MDK 10 community

Guest NewMDKguy2004

Guest NewMDKguy2004

hey guys,

i have an aureal au8810 soundcard. im farely new to mandrake, but whenever i use a program that requires sound, it either doesn't work or just crashes. Windows is able to use it, but Linux can't. Im using the pre-installed alsa, and during boot-up it *says* it loads fine.

Any ideas? :help:

what program are you trying to load? is it XMMS? Stupidly, XMMS still defaults to use the OSS Sound System: which isnt installed - hence no sound.

In the case of XMMS - change the Output plugin it to ALSA in the Preferences menu. That solved the problem on a number of different machines. Although, noen of them had your exact sound card.

Guest NewMDKguy2004

yeah,

i should probably mention this is my first time using a linux GUI, im used to be a normal user with a konsole. Im using totem movie player, i haven't gotten around installing XMMS yet. What should i do exactly (newbie) i need almost exact instructions.

thanks!

richard

Go to "Configure your Desktop" > Under Sound > Sound System

Check that its enabled in the General tab

Check that Autodetect or Alsa are selected in the Hardware tab.

Have a fiddle here - do you get sound? Remember to close your sound app - XMMS or whatever it is - between goes...

Also: I realised my error. XMMS-alsa is a seperate package in 10.0CE. I'd recommend you install that as well. Third disk I think.

mousematt