Mozilla freezing in Mandrake 10.0

aya

Hi,

The problem is with mozilla 1.6 (standard rpm installation for mdk 10.0). It runs for some time (maybe 3-4 hours) and then hangs (meaning that I cannot click any links, open files, etc., however, I can close it normally w/o 'kill'). Console gives the following error:

fail to create socket: Too many open files

I have never had such error on mdk 9.2. So perhaps it is a distribution problem or a new kernel problem? If anyone knows how this problem can be rectified pls. let me know.

Regards

~aya

check out this thread & all the follow ups. ignore the fact that it mentions xchat. in a nutshell, it sounds as if you're maxing out the number of connections you're allowed to be running at once. does this happen when you're dowloading things by any chance? running any P2P stuff? Bittorent? all those things, among others, could cause the problem.

Chris

Ok.

Thanks Chris, I will try it. But I am not using anything P2P or Bittorent. The computer is not connected to the web at all. So, usually I would have mozilla, quata, apache running at the same time. Of course there are other applications running in the background too, but I don't think that can be the problem...

By the way, another thing - when I compile mozilla and run it, it gives me the following errors on console

failed in listen(): Invalid argument

It does not prevent mozlla from functioning but it would be good to know what it wrong. I don't think it has to do with mozilla, but rather with distro - the error repeats each time I minimize/maximise window, click on the links in mozilla etc. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? There's no such error when I run mozilla rpm. I even tried to compile with all the same options as the rpm build, but still got the same error.

Edited by aya