Invasive Overnet

kmc77

Please forgive my lack of knowledge about this subject, but I have a simple question.

Before anyone mistakes what this is about - Overnet is running fine. I get excellent down speed. And new kernel seems to have fixed the occasional disconnect problem. So, I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to get it to run better.

Here's the question. Anytime that I have Overnet open (It doesn't matter if I am downloading anything or not), everything else connected to the internet is extremely slow. No data moving up or down stream = slow browse/email. 60kbps up and 20kbps down = slow browse/email.

I was just wondering why this happens, and if I can modify my connection/network settings so that I can do things like check my email without having to shut down Overnet.

You will want to keep a couple of kB/s upload speed free, so that your machine can actually place those requests; if you give all bandwidth to Overnet/edonkey, you have nothing left.

Note that it doesn't have to be data, it can just be communication from the overnet network.

20% of your bandwidth for websurfing etc should be ok, so 80% for overnet of the max....

What do you use to have overnet running under linux?

Not really sure what you are asking here, but this is some of my sys. info.

1.8G Celeron

256M RAM

80G HD

80G Removable USB HD (that's where I download to)

ADSL

DB - XP/Linux

Mandrake 10.0 CE (download) (everything works great, no problems yet - :thumbs:)

Overnet 0.51.2 command client

Core Controller (GUI)

If you meant something diffrent, let me know.

Edited by kmc77