Tribulations

Auran

Me again - 3 weeks ago i authored the thread "Mandrake 9.2 takes days to install".

Anyway - care of the users on this board i have had some degree of success - even if it was rather a long way round. Firstly someone here provided me with the checksum values that let me know my d/l corrupted. AussieJohn was gracious enough to send me a ton of 9.2 related disks. Armed with the correct disks i started to install.

Lots went wrong. It crashed on webmin or webmem and kept returing me to the screen where you pick your packages. Some files it got stuck on (png files!) and it crashed heaps on openoffice.org.

I rebooted and started again - more input output errors.

At this point i decided to put my old cdrom to rest so i pulled it out and put a newer burner in. I also found some longer ide cables so i could put the cdrom on its own channel.

Restarted the installation - more errors, webmin/mem and input/output. The install kept wanting to reformat the drive and then kept having an error when it tried to do it.

Rebooted... no hdd detected... In bios no primary master. Pulled out the hdd and put in another one. Fdisked it. Formatted it.

Started linux installation. 2 or 3 little errors that i just skipped passed and within the hour was using kde (i feel more at home in kde than in xp - well xp before i make it look and act like win98...).

Now the issue i'm having is - in any way, shape or form can a stuffed linux install stuff a HDD? My thinking was that it was just bad timing - the drive failed - its an old component, from a school computer that was kept for 2 years in a dusty room because something went wrong with it in the first place... but i could load windows on it and used it a fair bit.

Also from all this i am thinking that just because windows will load with certain components (old and dodgy) that sometimes linux wont - as if it is more sensitive

to potentially failing hardware?

Thanks again to everyone that commented and a massive thank you to AussieJohn for sending me the disks!

It has indeed been my experience that linux is sesative to bad hardware. At one time, early on, I thought that this might be a better os in windex. I have since learned that is not true for two reasons. First, linux reads teh bios and the hardware in order to operate. It does not try to be the hardware, like windex. And the hardware then can be masked for certain problems. Second, while the issues can be masked, the truth is that odd problems crop up, problems that are difficult to track down, dur to windex's ability to fool itself and its users. So, if the hardware is bad, then it should be dealt with, not maked over. This is just my unproven opinion, but it may be why windex acts so funny sometimes, and is unrepairable.