ATI Radeon, DVI, and XFree 4.3+

youngmug

I'm hoping someone has run into this before..

I am trying to run Mandrake 10 CE on one of my computers, and am using an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP board with a DVI flat-panel monitor. My problem is that XFree only outputs video to the VGA port on the board, making this setup basically useless.

I could use the "vesa" driver and get video working, but it is unaccelerated, and not as responsive as the native driver. After getting frustrated, I wiped the comp and put on Slack 9.1 (knowing there are a lot less tweaks that go into Slack than Mandrake). Running XFree on this configuration got me cloned video on both ports (which is fine, I only need the DVI port anyway). This configuration was set up to use the "radeon" driver.

Being happy, I upgraded the Slack packages to slackware-current, which brought in XFree86 4.4. The configuration broke after this change.

As far as I can tell, the radeon driver broke (or something related did) between versions, or something. The working Slackware 9.1 configuration used XFree 4.3.0, Mdk 10CE was using 4.3.0.1, and the upgraded Slack was using 4.4.

Any solutions to getting DVI to work under the Mdk configuration?

Edit: The board is not a 7200, it is a 7500 (an ATI retail-package)

Edited by youngmug

Ok, I got this fixed.

I copied the radeon.o driver from the working XFree in Slackware and put it in the mandrake 10.0 CE install (as radeon_drv.o). Now I have nice DVI video, which means I can finally use the computer in X. I think I'll contact the driver developer and let them know that the newer builds are broken.