Can't install new CPU

neilinoz

I am working here on a P2-350. I have a Gigabyte GA-6BXC motherboard which, according to the users manual, can handle anything from a Celeron 233 to a P3-650. Since second hand P3s were coming down in price, I decided to purchase one on Ebay.

Before I did all this I found a few remarks across the internet that P3-650s didn't really work on them. Armed with this piece of info, I purchased on Ebay in Australia a P3-600E, 600E/256/100/1.65v. It has a very large and ugly unpowered heatsink.

I have Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs 14th edition which told me that all I needed to do was take the old processor out, put the new one in and make sure the switches match what I put in. So that is what I did (On the GA-6BXC, SW2 for the 350mhz is off|off|on|on. For the 600Mhz, it is on|on|on|off. SW1 for 100Mhz bus is off|off|off|off which remains unchanged)

So did it work? No. I turn the PC on and it just sits there. Even the screen doesn't come on.

Potential reasons are:

1) 3yr old son damaged CPU when he opened the package.

2) CPU was DOA.

3) I staticized it when I was installing it.

4) I'm doing something wrong.

Before I begin blaming my supplier, I'd like to cover all my bases.

One thing that bothers me is that the Intel Chipset 440X on the Gigabyte motherboard comes up and says someething about being configured for a P2 chip whenever the PC starts up - you know, when it says "Award Bios", "memory check" etc etc. I went into the bios and I couldn't find anything to help me about changing CPUs.

All this might be solved by changing my Bios. But that is another story - check out that link to see my problems in that area (Can't install 40gb HDD)

Grumble grmuble

:evilmod:

As for the bios message, I found an explanation at this address:

Why does the BIOS string say PII and not PIII ?

This is the BIOS Base Support Message and is meant to say PII (It means that the BIOS will support the PII as well as PIII.

You should see the following line recognizes the PIII correctly

(See BIOS message)

Also, have a look at this site, there are a few questions and answers about your board. The first question is in Dutch, but it relates to adding a 80GB disk to this board and the disk not being recognized. Seems like the solution to all the problems is a bios upgrade

Of course, there's still the possibility that the CPU is dead...

Most likely the CPU is damaged. Perhaps you can slap it into another system (friends, family, countrymen?) and see if it works, otherwise most computer stores should be able to test it for you...

I would also upgrade the BIOS by flashing it, just to be sure.