Adding a second hard disk

DaZman

Hey i have been a user of Mandrake for a while and have found all i need in the UserBoard. Thats why i do not have many posts.

Many thanks to everyone :D

But i have just added a second hdd and need to know how to add it into the system without a reinstall.

PS i am a GUI Person

I have Some terminal eXperience thanks to DOIson.

My System

AMD 2100xp 515ram 1x 80g hdd 1x dvd MDK 9.0

Unless you have harddrake disabled, mdk should know its there. Go to mandrake control centre, mount points, hard drives, hda, will be your first hard drive, hdb should be your second.

Click on both to see which drive linux is on, the partitions will be listed. Assuming your new drive is hdb, simply set up the partitions, size needed, and file system you want , fat for windows, reiserfs or ext2 for linux, ( for linux my prefference reiserfs ) mdk will do the rest.

fdisk??? PFFTTT!!!

open a console shell,...

su to root,...

type: diskdrake

Diskdrake should then find hdb. You can then partition and format it to hearts content, simply and easily.

fdisk??? PFFTTT!!!

open a console shell,...

su to root,...

type: diskdrake

Diskdrake should then find hdb. You can then partition and format it to hearts content, simply and easily.

Already told him to do that, the gui way, (as he prefers ) he says, hdb not listed.

Well i could not get anything to work so i just went out and get my self a MDK Powerpack box and installed it onto the new hdd i thought it was time to put somthing back into Mandrakesoft :D

all is working well now.