Laptop Ethernet (sometimes on, sometimes not)

Guest KShots

Guest KShots

Anyone know how to enable on-demand an ethernet device? It'll run off of DHCP so there's no manual configuration to speed things up... but if I try and take my laptop somewhere and boot, it'll try and start eth0 up for a few minutes (not a good thing). Any ideas on a work-around?

Hi!

Do you use DHCP only?

Set your network with Mandrake Control Center. Choose "expert mode". You should find an option named, "start on boot". Do not use this option.

After the boot run as root

ifup eth0

and your ethernet device should be up! To stop the network use

ifdown eth0

I'm telling you to run these commands as root. Try also as user, but I'm not sure it will work!

Let me know!

Hi!

I tried my advice today. I use mdk92 and it worked! The only thing is that you must be root... if you don't want to change some permissions on some device files...

Another way should be to reduce the time the client waits for the answer of the DHCP server... For example, if one can tell to wait only 20 seconds instead of 120, it should be great... At the moment I don't know how to do... and if it is possible...

Bye!

Guest KShots

Thanks, that worked great!

Actually, for DHCP, I've never had a response take more than 1 1/2 seconds, so I'd even cut the wait time down to 2 seconds (if it fails, then we can have root take it down and up again). However, I don't know where to set the timeout either :(.

Anyways, logging in as root for a few seconds isn't a biggie, so your original suggestion works just fine :).

• 2 weeks later...