10CE installation freezes

arde

Hi,

I have a problem with Mandrake 10.0 CE installation. The installation starts well , but when I have selected language and accepted the license, it freezes.

Text installation seems to work fine.

My hardware: Athlon XP2600+, MSI KT4AV, Radeon 9600pro

Does anybody have an idea what's wrong?

Ok. Text installation was successful.

I tried to install Radeon drivers, but got a message: "fglrx-4.3.0.......rpm conflicts with a file from package xfree-libs......."

Is that a problem?

And Mandrake Control Center doesn't work but freezes.

OK,elsewhere here is a series on solving that raedon problem. Be sure to get the updates to urpmi and then all "drake" stuff. I would do that before solving the video issue.

I'm having the same (or similar) problem and have spent some time experimenting with various things.

I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mainboard (set at 333MHz fsb), Athlon XP2500+ cpu, 1 gig of DDR RAM, Radeon 9200 video card, a Sil 0680 UltraATA133 pci drive controller with one 60Gb, one 80Gb, one 120Gb, and one 250Gb Maxtor drives, plus a Hitachi DVD-ROM, and a Lite-On CD/DVD writer.

I've experimented with removing various drives, RAM, controllers, but 10CE freezes at random points during installation (9.2 installs and runs perfectly).

So far, the only method I have that allows 10CE to install and run is to reduce my fsb to 200MHz, but then the CPU is detected as an Athlon 1100... Not an ideal solution, but it works. Also 10CE only detects 800 some odd Mb RAM and does a kernel panic when I set mem=1024M

I finally did get 10CE installed by crippling my computer, but I have to keep it crippled to run. If i set my fsb back to 333MHz, it locks up a few seconds after booting. As a result, I'm mostly using 9.2 as it allows me to run with everything optimized.

If I ever manage to find a solution, I'll post back, but it doesn't seem likely.

As a side note, I used the same install CD's to install 10CE on my Inspiron 8500 laptop (P4 2.0GHZ 512 DDR RAM) and almost everything worked perfectly with the possible exception of the modem which I never use and haven't tested. But when the laptop is run from the port replicator through a KVMP switch, when I switch away from it and return later, my keyboard and mouse (both USB) no longer respond... I have to restart X to get them back... So I deleted 10CE and went back to 9.2 on the laptop as well.

As a whole, I like 10CE, if only it could be made to function properly on modern computers the way the older versions did. :wall:

Edited by Kareena

Arde,

I see you MSI KT4AV mobo has a Via Chipset, I've only seen this on nforce2 chipset boards but it may be worth a try....

Kareena,

Your ASUS A7N8Xboard has an nForce2 chipset. I had exaclty the same problem with my Biostar M7NCD with nForce2 chipset, also with Ath-XP 2600+.

I posted this earlier on linuxquestions.org....

I searched for ages for a solution, even tried a few other distros (gentoo, suse, PClinuxOS, Knoppix, Kanotix, even debian sarge and sid!), all would eventually start locking up, then only a hard reset was possible, which of course invoked a disk fschk and then HANG again!

What you need to do is include the following in your kernel boot options (append line in lilo) ..

noapic nolapic

note this isnt ACPI! it is the APIC which is interferring with the ACPI, or so I could figure out after loads of searching. I may have got the reason wrong but including the above options WORKS, I have not experienced a hang in over 2 weeks, including a spate of over 72 hrs without rebooting (yes I know its only a small amount of time but its just a figure, not a boast! lol)

And the second option above uses a lower case 'L' (not a number 1 or a pipe).

I use the above on any live CD i try, just pass those params to the kernel with any others, if its Grub then you can edit the line on the fly at boot time.

Also, if you use them with the boot options for install of MDK10.0 (mine used to freeze during install!!) then lilo will be configured with the noapic option, I always add the nolapic option to be sure.

Like I said above I'm not entirely sure of the reason, but my ACPI still works and power-down still works, and no hanging! I have no clue what APIC does, all I know it would screw my system! lol

Hope this works, and I have seen this for a few nforce2 boards.

Aus.