external usb hard drive

Guest dturley

Guest dturley

I'm trying to find a backup solution for my laptop (on all the time.) Only real option seems to be USB. I know USB is slow, but file copying will be done overnight. I'm using MD 8.2.

USB (1 and 2 compatable) drives seem to be pretty cheap. I assume I'll have to use USB 1, rather than 2 with MD 8.2 stock kernel.

Does anyone have any experience? Is it a simple mount ... (like with my camera?)

From work, I got a unit that you can put an old laptop hard drive into this shell, and plug it into USB port, and its an external hard drive. I was able to get Mandrake to recognize it, after rebooting with it plugged in. it put it at /mnt/removable. Seems to work pretty good. I did have to use drakdisk to format it. I first formatted it in Windows XP, but Linux couldn't read it. makes you wonder what XP has done to FAT 32. When I reformatted as FAT 32 through drakdisk, a reboot, it appeared. works great.

good luck,

Kevin

Guest johnKFT

I am looking to do the same as dturley - usb 2nd hdd on Dell Inspiron 7500 running 8.2. I have my eye on an Iomega 20GB USB2 portable hdd. Is this likely to work OK for my setup - I assume I have USB1.1 which I understand works, albeit 20 times slower than USB2? After my nightmares getting first the modem then the scanner to work in Linux I am wary!!

John

Guest dturley

Thanks ktambascio, that was my guess. Now I'll just need to be brave enough to fight the post-Thanksgiving shpping crowds and get to the mall. :-/

But this now brings up another question. I have a usb camera that gets mounted with the same command/fstab entry. I've noticed that if I mount the camera with a 64MB memorey card in it, and later try to mount is with another sized card, like a 8MB, I get errors. Even manaullly removing the sda1 device that gets created doesn't help. The only way to mount the camera with a changed memory card, is to reboot. (I've posted about this before, never heard a solution.) Now I'm curious, if the drive is mounted and I then go to mount the camera, is devfs "smart" enough to create another device, like sda2? I can see where this is going to get edit or reboot intensive.