MP3's sound quality poor - decoder related thing?

Huerzo

Lately I've suprised myself working with Linux more than with Windows. But one thing is current MDK10CE is really pain in my ass: Why MP3s' sound quality is so bad? My working efficiency is really suffering without quality MP3's playing background...

A bit background: I've used for example Foobar2000 in XP and sound quality is great. But when using XMMS in Mandrake sound is pretty flat and dark. Sound breaks and distorts even I turn bass almost off from my amplifier. And no, I don't use equalizer...

My wild guess is that decoder is not good enough. So is there any ways to get a better one, or is this thing just those thing you have to bare? Or is the guilty maybe soundcard's (or chip's, VIA's VT8233 in my case) driver or should I try another sound system instead of current ARTS?

OK, problem solved. From KDE's "Sound system" I ticked both "Use own sample rate" and "Sound Quality" and set sample rate to 44 100 and "Sound Quality" to 16 bits. It seems to me, that preset values are not what they should be. I guess automatic recognition wasn't optimal in my case...but if anybody have similar problem, you know at least now how to solve it...

And work rate is at least as high than it was under XP/Foobar-combination...long live the Mandrake/JuK!