Removing downloaded software.

Pepse

I am wondering if I go to MCC and to the remove software part will I be able to remove all software I downloaded from PLF as well as what came with my distro?? I need to redo Xine. A while back I downloaded just about everything I could from PLF pertaining to Xine so that I could view a video that is on a music CD. Well ever since, when trying to run Xine, it loads up and then quits. When I go to root is says:

This is xine (x11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.22.

© 200-2003 The Xine Team.

Built with xine library 1.0.0 (1-rc0a)

Found xine library version 1.0.0 (1-rc3a).

XServer Vendor: Mandrake Linux (Xfree86 4.3, patch level 5mdk). Release: 40300000,

Protocol Version: 11, Revision 0,

Available Screen(s): 1, using 0

Depth: 24

-[ xiTK version 0.10.5 [XMB]]-

-[ WM type: (EWMH) KWIN {KWin} ]-

Display is not using Xinerama.

main: all available video drivers failed.

And I figure the best way out of this is to remove all Xine drivers as well as libxxx drivers and start over and just install the Xine software and libxxx software that came with the MDK CD's. Of course I know that it will take me to PLF for some software but that's OK; I think. Now I know some of you will mention Mplayer; I had that up until about 2 hours ago. It suddenly decided to not work so I went to MCC to get software for it and when connecting to PLF it had a connection problem and asked if I wanted to cancel and I did and it mentioned something about file cleanup and it did and I now don't have Mplayer either; but I'll deal with that after I get Xine running, I hope. Also, some will mention Totem, and possibly other players, but those won't cure my main problem of cleaning up Xine and libxxx. I am a bit puzzled as to why Mplayer quit; unless it had something to do with changing mobo's. I went from an Intel 600mhz to a AMD 1.33 gig. Same brand of mobo. Anyway I am running MDK 9.1 PowerPack. An LG DVD ROM, and 512 megs of SDram.

Thanx.

Pepse.

If you installed the xine components in rpm form from plf, they will all be removable in mcc. Whenever you install an rpm, it's entered in the rpm database which is what mcc reads to see what rpms have been installed.

Changing motherboards may have effected some things as well. One thing you can do is rerun the install program(boot off install cd-1) and choose the "Upgrade" install. It should reset your hardware configuration to be in sync with your new hardware. If fact, this is one of the few things the "Upgrade" option is good for IMHO. If you don't select any new packages, it will go pretty fast.

That is why I asked. I thought that more than likely it would remove all RPM's, but had to ask to be sure. As for changing mobo's, the one thing I think it did is it affected my video driver. I think. About 2 days after the upgrade every so often my monitor would blink out for about 2 seconds. It did it rather often at first. Now it is only 2 or 3 times a day. Either that or my 2 year old vid card is dying. Now when I "upgrade" it will clean out my nVidia driver, too, right?? I am talking about the one I downloaded from nvidia. I am not worried about it because I should get the latest from them; also I should get gutsy and see how many probs I will have putting an AGP nVidia chipped card in my mobo. I am also aware that altho Linux can conform to changing mobo's and CPU's better than billyware, it ain't totally right until I put the CD1 in to set it right.

I still am having a problem of not getting replies sent to my addy, even tho I checkmark that box, and in fact it now shows that I am supposedly getting email notifications sent to me, and I didn't get any otherwise I would have answered sooner. This has been a problem on this board for about 3 months. And I do check my "spambox" whenever I get any emails. I am running Mozilla 1.3.

Anyway, I'll check back sometime Sunday eve and see if there is anything relevent before I "Update"

Thanx for the suggestion.

Pepse.

I'm not sure about the nvidia driver; it'll probably reset it to the "nv" driver as it goes thru a redetection of your hardware. It will not remove any of your rpms unless you tell it to during an upgrade install with same release being installed originally.

OK, I did the upgrade and it was quick and smooth. Now that kernel can talk to the right CPU. If it removed the nVidia driver I am not sure, as I will have to go thru my notebook and see if I made a note on how to check to see what driver I am running. Anyway, as for removing all things Xine, that looks like a bad idea, as it would remove (I think) just about everything pertaining to KDE, Gnome, file-roller, eog, fam, gdm, gedit, gdm, etc., etc. So, it looks like I would have to re-install MDK in order to get rid of the Xine problem. I think I'll look at installing Totem for now, afterall.

Later. Pepse.

Totem uses xine as a backend.

Next to the software deinstaller, you can use

urpme

man urpme

to find out useful stuff about switches, I rarely use it, but --test should be an option.

Note that if you try to remove xine and it tells you it also has to remove kde components, you are likely telling it to remove xinet - a whole different thing.

To remove xine, just remove

libxine

and

xine-ui

(or so, just check, you'll see).

Read the description, that should give you a clear indication if it is some part of xine that you are about to remove or something else. (been there, done that,...)

Note that in the graphical uninstaller you can select to view full info on the package.

First of all, I gotta mention aRTee your reply was the first email-notification I received from this board in about 3 months. I went into Konsole and looked around and decided that I would first try MCC again and see what would happen. I was able to remove Xine with no other items being lost except Totem (it was removed along with Xine). I now remember that when I went to remove Xine a couple days ago, I checked the first line on the search results so it would put a checkmark on everything Xine. Of course that included xinet. So, I just removed everything but xinet and everyhting is OK, and then some. Being that I haven't re-installed Xine yet I went to Mplayer for laughs (it has never worked for me before, only kmplayer) and now it works. So, I think it must clash with Xine like K3B does with X-CD-roast. I removed K3B so X-CD-roast would work. So, I am thinking that I might be better off without Xine for now. Maybe MDK 10.x will have that problem resolved by the time I get it. And when it gets released this May I am going to get the PowerPack again. With MDK 9.1 it is the first time I got the PowerPack, and it is worth every extra penny they charge. So, just in case you would suggest downloading the basic set from MDK home, nevermind, I'll wait for the PowerPack release.

So, I appreciate the help aRTee and pmpatrick.

Many Thanx. Pepse.

I use mplayer (gmplayer to get the gui) and xine, they both work fine -- no conflict there.

Is there really a conflict between k3b and xcdroast? They are both just frontends to cdrdao and cdrecord... never heard of this before.. sounds strange. Then again, I don't like xcdroast, k3b does the job fine....

Anyway, you're welcome, enjoy mplayer :D

Edited by aRTee

As for xcdroast vs. K3B, yeah it was a problem for me. I discovered with 9.1, xcdroast wasn't in the shall we say main group of software packages that get installed when installing MDK. But being that I have the power pack I discovered that xcdroast was on one of the CD's, so I installed it. I mainly installed it back then so I would have a cd burner I was familiar with until I got used to K3B. Well, what I discovered is that let's say I burned a CD in xcdroast and then go to K3B to burn something I would have to reset my preferences. Then of course later if I went back to xcdroast to do something I would have to reset the preferences in 'roast again. So being I am more familiar with 'roast I dumped K3B and haven't had any problems since. And as far as the other 4 burners that came with 9.1, Eclipt roaster is the only one that I can't set up, but that's OK. I might just try Xine again to see if it screws up anything. I do like it better than Mplayer.

Later. Pepse.