Update to 2.6.0

JohnBoy

I just got mdk linux 9.2 running on my pc. Its a dual boot with WinXP on it as well.

Im what you call a newbie, big time. :help:

anyways, I have seen things talking about how theres the final release of kernel 2.6.0, and im running 2.4.22-10. Would it be a good or a bad idea to try and update to 2.6.0? How would I go about doing this, and would I have to rebuild my ATI video and Nvidia nforce drivers against 2.6.0?

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

John :D

yes you would have to reinstall your drivers.

be sure to upgrade the rpm and to have the kernel-source of the same kernel you are installing,

best way to do it is to use urpmi (in mcc in package management) and search for kernel and select kernel 2.6.wathever and the same kernel-source 2.6.wathever.

and then reinstall your drivers .

i know that nvidia driver will recompile itself with your kernel headers but for ati i dont know.

Edited by !nkubus

So i would need to download the binary RPMs (correct use of words?) and the source rpms, rebuild with the source, then rebuild my drivers & rpm them?

nvidia offers the .src files, but ati does not, they only have the rpms, so just rpm that after i build the 2.6.0 kernel?

sorry I'm so ignorent thus far, i havent gotten a nice linux book yet :thumbs:

NForce is supported in 2.6.x kernel. No need to recompile or install binary RPM for them. My mobo has NForce2 chipset and all I had to do was manually edit the bootloader:

Add at the beginning of the line: acpi=off noapic

Remove: acpi=ht

and my USB was working (had to get my printer working in Linux as USB and not Parallel)

One nice thing with the 2.6.x kernel and nforce, is that you are not stuck with the standard kernel.

I am using 10.0 CE.

that line there, acpi=off noacpi, wont that turn off the advanced power management, or am I getting acpi mixed up with something else.

and the bootloader as in which file?

I got a good idea, anyone know of a good how to or faq that I can look at before i put all these extreme newbie questions all over the boards? :D