Tomcat rpm for 9.2

funky1

:help:

I'm trying to find a rpm that will install tomcat on my apache server (Mandrake 9.2)

rpmDrake comes up with nothing. I've googled and found a link to download one for 9.2 on rpmfind, but it blows up missing dependencies :(

It has to be out there because when I search this forum I see other folks talking about their install of it and different problems they are having with their code playing nicely with it.

I have to be missing something here.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!!!!

Tfunk

It's VERY simple. All it requires is that you extract it to where you want it installed - I would put it in /home/paul/Java which would create a new directory - Tomcat-5.0 or something like that

Then it's installed - all done!

You just put your web applications in the webapps directory. You can edit the configuration of the server in conf/server.xml

You can add jar files to the "global" classpath (i.e. available to all webapps) by putting them in common/lib

I think it's actually easier to maintain than a tomcat installed via RPM - and RPM install puts the directories all over your system.

To start the server you just go into the bin directory and run

./catalina.sh run

nothing too it!

That does sound easy! (Much easier than I was thinking it would be)

If that's really all there is to it I think I'll give it a shot.

A few more clarification if you would:

Is there a reccomended path to put things like this? For example, this will be a publicly available site (hopefully) so should I make the directory for it where apache is?

Does extracting tomcat create the webapp directory your referring to? I tried a find and a locate and I don't have one, so I assume that installing tomcat does it.

I was under the impression that the source had to be tweaked depending if you were running Mandrake or Redhat or Debian or whatever. Is that not the case? I can just download the source and extract it and that's all there is too it? Wow...If that's the way it works I've been afraid of mandrake way to long :)

Thanks for your help!

Tfunk

I have run tomcat on Mandrake and gentoo and al lthat was required was the extract. Al lthe directories I reffered to above (including bin and config) are created under the tomcat install.

The contents of my tomcat install are:

LICENSE        RUNNING.txt  common  logs    shared  webapps
RELEASE-NOTES  bin          conf    server  temp    work

common is for shared classes and jars, webapps for your webapps, bin is where all the tomcat scripts go, conf is where the config files are and work is where your compiled JSPs end up.

You don't need to put it in the same place as Apache - Apache will connect to Tomcat via it's network port (8080 by default) so as long as Tomcat is running it doesn't matter where it is installed

I downloaded it and extracted it and things went pretty well :) Thanks for your help!

It seems that you have to install java in addition to installing tomcat? Is that right?

When I try the ./catalina run command it keeps blowing up and saying the "The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined"

Any adive here?

Thanks!

Tfunk

yes you do need to install Java before you can run Tomcat.

This is also pretty easy. Just download the self extracting binary from java.sun.com and run it.

You may need to make it executable first - to do this run:

chmod a+x <filename>

replacing <filename> with whatever you downloaded.

If it gives you a license you can use the space bar to scroll down.

Once Java is installed just add the following to the .bashrc file in your home directory (java_install refers to wherever you installed Java)

export JAVA_HOME=java_install
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

and you should be able to run Tomcat as a normal user. You don't want to run it as root - it's very insecure

Edit: any other questions - just ask. By the way - installing java is required however you installed tomcat.

Also - make sure you install the JDK (or SDK), not just the JRE for Java

Edited by phunni

Well, I'm a little confused on how to proceed...

Tomcat 5 says it uses servlet 2.4 and JSP spec 2.0, but I don't know what exactly I'm needing from sun.

I looked arround sun's java site and I see where they offer and I see basicly J2SE and J2EE. I don't know what is what and I can't really tell by reading. I assume that I need one of those too, but I don't want to break anything.

On the other hand,

I see in RPM drake that there is an RPM for j2sdk-1.4.2_01-01mdk. That is sdk like you said I needed, but it is 1.4.2, which if I'm reading the specs for tomcat 5 correctly, it needs version 2.4?

I really appreacite your help and I hate to be a pest :(

but I'm so close I can taste it, but I'm just not sure how to proceed!

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

I really appreciate it!

tfunk