wget slows

WilliamS

Downloaded the latest kernel and kernel-source for 9.1, one from unc.edu, other from sunet.se, and noticed on both that the transfer rate gradually decreased from normal 2.9 kb/s to 1.5 kb/s, so download took much longer than it should have.

First time I've used wget.

Has anyone noticed this?

Can anything be done about it?

I download to a file so I can burn an update cd; wget seemed a better choice than Opera as I don't have to keep poking the "resume" button.

I had the same kind of problem when I was doing a lot of updating with urpmi, where the rate would just slowly fall and settle on about 1.5 kB/s like you say. I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I've just started using GTM (GNU Transfer Manager) and it seems to work fine for me.

The only thing is that I'm not sure whether you can use it as a stand-alone program or not. I've just been going to the site (including ftp) in my web-browser, and then downloading whatever using GTM.

I do still get a small drop in download rate, but that seems to be happening with everything, even just web pages. I had assumed it was something wrong with my set-up, so it's a little heartening to know that someone else is having the same trouble!

HTH

Alex