10.0 and Kino export to tape

sitor

Hello,

I just recently bought myself a digital camera with the purpose to edit the video on my PC and put it then back on the tape (for long term storage next to a DVD version for viewing). However, it doesn't work with Kino on MDK 10.0 CE. I searched a bit on the problem, and found the following on the Kino site:

#2425, "RE: Kino crashes exporting video 1394"

In response to Reply #0     

Exporting with video1394 on kernel 2.6 does not work due to a changed interface on the kernel module. It will work with dv1394 if you use the latest libdv 0.102 because the dv1394.h that comes with libdv was updated for kernel 2.6 (and backwards compatible to kernel 2.4.21 only).

Kino will drop support for export using video1394 on the next release, and will only use dv1394.

Later this year, I also plan to drop support for dv1394 for both capture and export because a new raw1394 API now has the same advantages of the dv1394. In light of that, the linux1394 team plans to deprecate and eventually phase out the dv1394 module altogether. Don't worry too much about the impact because this new API has actually been available since kernel 2.4.21.

Why? Because the years of experience have resulted in new implementations that are robust, simpler, and more generic. This not only reduces the chance for bugs as the kernel interfaces change, but also makes code maintainance easier. However, the biggest benefit is perhaps to the user--less confusing options, one that just works great.

In addition, all of this is being done over an extended period of time (roughly, beginning of 2003 to end of 2004) to minimise impact on users and ease migration.

+-DRD-+

Kino Developer

It seems that getting DV export to tape only works on a 2.6 kernel with a recompiled version of Kino.

Does anyone know if this was done with the version that ships with MDK 10.0 CE? Anyone that got this to work? Anyone who can help me out? I'm still a newbie, so not at all into compiling and stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

• 2 weeks later...

I got it solved myself. From what I found on the Kino website (see first post of the thread), I understood that on the 2.6 kernel you need to use the dv1394 driver, not the video1394 driver. In the <Preferences> window, the <IEEE 1394> tab, the DV Export driver is set by default to video 1394. If you change it to dv1394, it does not automatically change the device to use. After indicating it to use the device "/dev/ieee1394/dv/host0/PAL/in" instead of the by default indicated "/dev/video1394", everything just worked like a charm. I already edited my first home movie and exported it back to the tape last night.

Probably indicates how newbie I still am that I didn't realize this from the start. But there are still a lot of newbies out there that would have problems with this as well, so I wanted to note it for them to find it. And I'm very happy myself that I do not need to boot in Windoze for this!

Ciao,

Sitor