mandrake 9.2 takes days to install

Auran

Hi from outback Australia!

new to the linux community and would very much like to stay but i am having one basic drama... I have mandrake 9.2 on 3cds which all checked fine and i want to install them on a system:

amd 700

128mb Ram

4gig HDD

Panasonic 24speed cdrom (oldest component but seems fine in windows)

Riva TNT 2 32mb

Network Card (super generic)

The motherboard is for a baby AT - one of the later boards that has usb and sound onboard.

I started mandrake at 8:30pm and it took until 10pm before it started to actually install - i was willing to give it that time to load itself into memory and format drives and whatnot but the problem is it is now 12 hours later and the install bar is only 3/5ths of the way to complete - when you show up details it is doing something (the prog bar for the current package moves and the text updates) and if you leave it for hours you can see that the bar has moved... I'm assuming this isn't a typical scenario (2 days to install mandrake? cant find anything like this on the net...) and would like some feedback. The only package/s (in addition to the default ones) i checked was LAN client - the installer said it would take up 1.14gig...

The only other additional information i can think that is relevant is that it wouldn't boot from the cd (so i made the floppy as per instructions) and at a real stretch the rom and hdd are on the same ide (but i mean - seriously?) Other than that it is just a nice basic lil machine that doesn't normally have issues - just been letting it chug through at its own pace...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome!

My old box is a Celeron 600, 192MB RAM,hd and cdrom on diff ide channels and a ML-9.1 install would take 45min. You're pushing it to the limit on top using 1 ide for hd/crom. I agree, still seems to be taking way to long but that could be a number of things. I'd try a vgalo or text install with the kernel parameter noapic. At the first spashscreen press F1, then type

linux vgalo noapic

or

linux vgalo noapic acpi=off

or

linux text noapic

or

linux text noapic acpi=off

there's also a

ide=nodma

but that doesn't sound like a good idea in your case.

I'm thinking its more a disk/rom issue. I stopped the install and rebooted - opting to start the procedure again. When you first load and press enter the screen is black and you can press altF1, altF3 and altF4 (kernal msg) well i pressed altF4 and it showed a whole screen of

<3>hdb: lost interrupt

and back on the front screen it shows

"trying to access Mandrake Linux CD-ROM (Pioneer ATAPI model DR-A24X - 0104)"

I'm thinking it should do this pretty quickly whereas the first time when i just left it this part took like 30 minutes...

So maybe the disk or the rom are shagged? I used a windows md5 checker - futher research sets up persuasive arguments not to do this so i've gotten

http://www.theopencd.org/md5sum.exe

but now that 10.0 is out i cant find the values for 9.2 AHHHHH

If i cant find the 9.2 values i will try another cd-rom and failing that i guess its ftp time again to get 10.0... (dialup...)

Burn the disk at the slowest speed possible.

Is the cd rom reading over and over again without intalling anything? If it is its not getting a good read off the disk. If your using the graphic install hit the details button and see what it hangs on.

From the hdb I get that your cdrom is on the same ide channel as your harddrive; could you maybe get a second cable and move the drive there, as a master on the second ide channel?

This is a good idea in any case, apart from your current problems with Mandrake, it will improve performance. Note that it should not change anything on the windows side, which is practical, you won't have anything to worry about if you still want to use windows.

Also, yes, this is not good that things take so long; on my wife's duron700 installation usually takes less than one hour, including the time I take to select the various extra packages....

Next, I just ran the md5sums on my (previously checked to be ok) 9.2 iso's that I actually still have:

40c8812dce7b9f8fb0a3b364af62b974  MandrakeLinux-9.2-17-Download-1.i586.iso
e07fe7b1474eb3ba35cac3dfd479777e  MandrakeLinux-9.2-18-Download-2.i586.iso
2b6ffc5957533c927f14197ec99a0372  MandrakeLinux-9.2-19-Download-3.i586.iso

You are not overclocking your machine in any way I hope?

Furthermore, downloading 10.0 via dialup? Some people really deserve to get linux working out of the box!! ;)

No way to get someone on broadband to get it for you?

You may want to try a 'cry for help' in the 'Everything Linux' section of this forum..

Lastly, I commend you for not giving up, most imho would have at that point... Seems you have the right mentality to go a long way with linux.

Yes it is commendable that's you've not given up! Dialup? Not too bad if you do it while you sleep as I did for 3 cd's/ML-9.0 on a crap conexant winmodem. Took 13 nights at about 150MB a night. MD5SUM's were ok. Everyone I knew with braodband didn't have a burner.

thnx all (special thnx for artee for the checksums - i'll do them when i get home) some things have changed since my last post - due to some work i am doing for the local school i have come into some new bits of hardware

192Mb ram

2x10Gb hdd

52x CD-ROM

I'll checksum the ISOs and then burn them at <10x (additionally i have gotten specific instructions for some settings in Nero which, if they arnt default, got left out last time) and move the cdrom to master/secondary.

Part of the problem with dialup is it takes several sessions to ftp the files - does resuming an ftp typically create a corruption? The other thing i did (with the second cd and probably shouldn't have) is swap ftp servers during the download. Since all the distros of 9.2 should have, in theory, the same checksums no matter what server hosts them can i assume that i could resume an unfinished download from any of server?

Failing that i am on holiday in a little over a week and am off to a city where they have cool things like mcdonalds and theatres and ocean views where i will try and pick up a mandrake pac - these are usually like $20 (about $10 US) and come with a booklet on installation and the 3 cds - these shouldn't have any of the probs the downloaded ones can develop. After that i guess its down to 10.0 which if i really hook in will only take me a week to get.

This box will be linux :)

Changing ftp servers should typically not corrupt, but on windows, I wouldn't count on it - it depends on the download program/manager, and wget is about as good as it gets (apart from the fact it doesn't have a graphical interface, there are some frontends though).

I remember when starting out on linux I downloaded the isos (mdk8.something), and each time just before the end the program would say: download corrupted, and it couldn't resume...

After 3 times, I installed an old linux version that came with some magazine, used wget and the md5sums were ok.

Good on you to get that new hardware.

Hope things work out fine this time.

Hello AURAN.

Where in the Outback are you resident ???

As you can see I am in Cairns, Nth Qld

If you would like to contact me directly by email, I give the moderators permission to give you my E-Mail address. Contact me and I may be able to burn you a set of copies from my official printed set of 3 CDROMS and post them to you. I will also include a cdrom of the ERRATAS for 9.2 as well because these are necessary and important as the disc also includes the KERNEL Source as well, which was missing from the 3 CD set.

Cheers. :D

Heheee, I knew someone would be man enough to give a helping hand!

BTW AussieJohn, he can just PM you through the PM button at the bottom, which will get you a message in your mailbox that you have a personal message - no need for the moderators to pass your email address or anything...