IBM Thinkpad trackpoint problem

I'm rather new to linux, and I just installed Mandrake 10. But I have this odd problem with the trackpoint (which I believe is ps/2). After using it for a couple seconds, the mouse pointer randomly moves around the screen at high speed, click things at random. This continues for several seconds after I have stopped using the trackpoint.

I have a usb mouse, and that works fine but I really need to be able to use the trackpoint as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

On my TP, MDK 9.2 handles the ultranav device without a hitch. It was configured as a PS/2 mouse and worked out of the box. Both the trackpoint and touchpad work. With the synaptics driver, even trackpoint's middle button works.

Try the synaptics driver (you may need to modprobe the evdev module first).

Sorry, altima, here are some suggestions...

First, you may try using some other driver for your trackpoint. I would disconnect any other pointing devices before doing that.

0. Backup your XF86Config, XF86Config-4 files. In the terminal, type in su, then type in the root password. Then do the following:

# cd /etc/X11/
# cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.original
# cp XF86Config XF86Config.original
# ls  

Don't worry if you don't have one of those files and you will get an error. It's most likely, that you only have XF86Config-4. ls must show the new file(s) with extension .original in that dir. Now type exit.

1. Start Mandrake Control Centre (is there one in MDK10?). You can start it from the terminal by typing mcc in the command prompt, or choose an appropriate item from the menu. If you're in KDE, just click the large K in the left corner of the panel down at the bottom of the screen. If you can't click, just press ALT+F1, to show the menu. You have to choose "Configure my computer" or something similar to that. You will be prompted to to type in root's password, just do that.

2. In MCC, go to the section called Hardware. There must be an entry in that section that would allow you to configure your mouse. Navigate to that icon, and follow the instructions. First your hardware will be probed and you will be presented with a suitable (in Mandrake's view) configuration. You can accept Mandrake's choice or change it. Whatever your choice is, save it, then exit MCC. At this stage your XF86Config-4 will be rewritten (but you have the backup!).

3. Now you need to exit X and be able start it again. Windows would force you to reboot computer for this, but in Linux, you just need to logout to the console. You can do it gracefully by choosing logout from the KDE/Gnome menu. That would do, if you started X by typing startx. If that sounds like a bunch of strange words, you probably have a graphical login. In that case, pressing CTRL+ALT+Backspace should do the trick.

4. In console, type startx. Hopefully, the trackpoint will now work. If not, repeat steps 1 to 3, this time try some other mouse in MCC.

If that doesn't work, post a message here.

I found a synaptics RPM in the cooker contribs, but I already installed mine from source, so I haven't tried it.

ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/

click "RPMS2", then look for the synaptics rpm. if this works, it's going to be much easier for laptop users.

I had already tried switching the mouse in the control center, but just for the hell of it I tried again. It made no difference. I did notice that whatever I set it too, then next time i went back there it was on Universal PS/2 and USB mice.

I also installed that synaptics rpm.... no change

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work

#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

Load "dri" # direct rendering

EndSection

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "Keyboard"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"

Option "XkbOptions" ""

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "Emulate3Buttons"

Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"

HorizSync 31.5-48.5

VertRefresh 40-70

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Intel Corporation"

BoardName "Intel 830"

Driver "i810"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

I can't really see anything wrong with the mouse section. Just to be sure, check the output of ln -l /dev/mouse. It should point to misc/psaux or something similar. You can also try replacing /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux in XF86Config-4 (in case /dev/mouse is simlinked to something else).

It appears to me as if the synaptics driver isn't what I want. It says it's for touchpads, and it list some requirements the touchpad must fit, which obiously can't be met by a trackpoint. ie: clicking, etc

So I didn't try it.

But I did try the rest, and it made no difference except for killing my sound until I rebooted.

I did try synaptics for a while, and it worked for me just fine in MDK 9.2, at least when no other mice were connected. Since the synaptic driver was conflicting with an external mouse, I switched back to the standard PS/2 driver. My laptop has a dual pointing device, ie, touchpad+trackpoint, IBM calls it ultranav; both work fine with the PS/2 driver except for the middle button.

altima, as a last resort, check Linux on ThinkPad maillist, mailman-linux-thinkpad.org. Also, depending on the model, IBM might have a driver for your laptop. Check their support site.