v10 Installation Help

Sodge

Alright, here's the deal: I tried installing Mandrake 10 Community on my laptop this weekend, and the installation goes fine-and-dandy up until it has to install the drivers for firewalls and such -- then it just hangs there until I am forced to restart. I've attempted a low-graphical install, text install, and virtually everything else suggested by using [F1], so I'm at a loss here. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated. Alas, I don't know my system info as I sort of... uh... deleted Windows XP Pro by accident -- and not because I just blatantly tried to get Mandrake over XP Pro, but because I decided that, since I am clearly a smart individual, I'd install from boot-up and forget to install via the Windows OS and reboot with the two OSes installed. I am smart, indeed. Soooo, I am now stuck with an OS that hangs before it can even install, or no OS at all. Great!

Well, it's a good learning experience to say the least. Heh.

Who told you to install via the windows OS?

What security level are you setting things at?

You should be able to see exactly what file the install hangs on during a text install. At best you might even get an error message.

Tell the best you can about you hardware and the exact order of you install steps or problems you get. The more info you give the better. There is never to much info.

Did you run a md5sum on the ISO's before burning and did you burn them as slow as possible?

Well, if it was me and installing the firewall files were giving me a problem, I wouldn't install them (at least at this point) just to see if the rest of the install goes okay. When it comes to selecting what software you want Mandrake to install, don't check off the firewall option.

Just from what you've told us already, I'd question the integrity of the CD and the files it contains. If you've burned the CDs yourself (and used a MS-Window system to do it) you could have a faulty CD. Try burning another CD with that ISO and do a md5sum check on the ISO file you downloaded (as Pzatch suggested).

If you try installing graphically, press ESC to go to verbose mode.... see if you can tell what file is giving you problems.

Edited by judland

Unplug anything not necessary for install (usb stuff, printers etc...). If it hangs at the same part of install b4 it gets there do Ctrl+Alt+F1 (F1 through F6) til you find the one that is giving the most output concerning configuration (I think F2 and F3 but decide yourself) There's more than one so you may have to do this a few times. Post the errors here.