Damn Sound Card

zed994

Hey all,

After dual booting linux and xp (new to linux) ans doing it successfully, i wanted to listen to music and on trying no sound came out... i checked hardware and it says it was probably installed, so i need a couple of tings explained to me

1) i have downloaded the latest Linux audio drivers for my SIS 650... it is in .tar form so how do i install

2) how do i obtain the origninal mozilla icon.... coz all i have at the moment is some pacman face on my start meny coz i cant find the orginal and how would i go about installign that as well..

Thanks

Zed

Guest Adriano

There are a couple of things you should try before considering the installation of new drivers.

The first of them is to check that the volume is not muted by the system (when Mandrake detects a soundcard, sometimes it errs on the safe side and mutes the sound, is a common problem. Now, what you must do is to your "Multimedia - Sound" menu and open Aumix or Kmix (or even AlsaMixerGUI), whichever you have installed. In the mixer menu, check that the sound isn't muted, and raise the bars to a volume you enjoy.

If that doesn't work, go to mandrake's Control Center, open the HardDrake section. Your soundcard should be in the list of devices, select it and fire up the problem solver, it will give you some tips about what you can do.

Try that and come back.