RAID setup installation help

arthurking

Hi.

I built this new computer around a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 m/board.

It has onboard RAID. SATA and IDE.

Advice from AmdForums is to use SATA. So I did. Now IDE is not an option (too much money spent on this box so far)

Gigabyte's website has a linux driver for for this si3112.

I did get into the advanced install setup screen and it asked me to format a floppy in ext2 and copy the driver to this disk. AFAIK I can't do this from windows. I could probably could in linux but I can't install it on my raid setup.

I need help on how to install Mdk10rc1 on this raid setup. Can someone point me to some info. Can someone confirm if this chip is supported by mdk/2.6 kernel.

I may have to wait on the official mdk10 release and hope for the best.

thanks

I'm having similar trouble finding any info. I just bought the AMD Athlon FX-51 (64-bit) with an Asus SK8N mobo with Promise SATA RAID on-board... No idea what to do now! I bought 2 seagate 80GB sata drives and they're still blank because I'm stumped... The mandrake page mentions they can do sata, and they can do raid, but not sata raid... Huh? Can't ya just... put the two together? I read somewhere also that if you get sata working you can use linux software raid rather than hardware raid (which the author implied was better anyway :) ) but I don't know how to do that yet either. I'm afraid to even try to install the OS until someone can assure me I won't bomb something...

TIA for any clues for SATA RAID with mandrake 10!

Hi static.

I eventually found a menu for installing with certain hardware/driver configs, and there was a list of raid drivers for installing on a raid setup. It was in the advanced menu at setup time. I didn'y find my driver so I exited you may be luckier

I know that I'm totally out of luck (at the moment)with my Silicon Image SATA raid controller and the 2.6 kernel.

I forget the links now, but there is a dude in holland or somewhere out that way, that is writing the module for it.

Aparently the driver/module is totally different from the 2.4 kernel version.

But I'll wait a while until the driver is written and come back to linux and you guys.

cheers for now.

I'm going to re-post and ask a different question that might get more views and hopefully more replies :thumbs: