Need help with a few problems

FraterD

Hi all,

Well, i finally got Mandrake 10.0 installed a few days ago without any problems except fopr my internet connection ! I am using a wiresless Linksys WPC-11 card which i have found drivers for but am having a few problems.

First i downloaded the drivers which state that they are for use with gcc 3.2.2, my mandrake comes with gcc 3.3.2. So, first question...will i still be able to use these drivers?

Second. When following the direction to install the drivers it states that i need to go into the kernel and enable Wireless (non-ham) radio support. The directions say i could use either make config, make menuconfig or make xconfig. I chose make x config because i assumed this is the GUI interface for the kernel.

When i type in make xconfig at the /usr/src/linux directory i get this error:

"Can not open perl script ./mkbuild.pl" No such file or directory ERROR 2. 3rd party

Did i forget to install something?

And finally. After i download the drivers for this card, where to i uncompress them to? I know i need to be logged in as "root" to do this i just don't know where to put them in order for them to be recognized by other users besides myself.

Thank you all very much for any and all help you can give. I have been learning quick but this has stumped me so far :wall:

yeah, you shouldn't have to compile the kernel for that. Also, are you sure the driver isn't already there? Do you know the name of the driver?

For future reference, when you come across something like this with a missing file, in a terminal do;

urpmf name_of_file

which in this case would be

urpmf mkbuild.pl

It'll tell you what pkg/s that file is in so that you can do;

urpmi name_of_pkg

which in this case will be pearl of some sort.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I have an SMC wireless card (I think its a dlink chip) and will be downloading 10 this weekend. Wish I could help you otherwise..

Cannon,

Good luck with your download and install. I had no problems what so ever with mine :D I am dual booting with win ME and Linux and everything installed without a hitch...except for my wireless card which i am working on now :o

I think you will enjoy it very much, mine system runs better and faster and haven't had any hang ups at all to where win ME always gives me the blue screen, or a write error or something...and that is after a fresh install :unsure:

Apparently something isn't right.  Do you have perl installed?

Also, the mandrake kernel automatically has wireless support enabled.

Lord,

As far as i know perl is installed. I will check to see if there are any packages that didn't make it in and if so i will go ahead and add them.

yeah, you shouldn't have to compile the kernel for that. Also, are you sure the driver isn't already there? Do you know the name of the driver?

For future reference, when you come across something like this with a missing file, in a terminal do;

urpmf name_of_file

which in this case would be

urpmf mkbuild.pl

It'll tell you what pkg/s that file is in so that you can do;

urpmi name_of_pkg

which in this case will be pearl of some sort.

BVC,

Not sure of the driver name, will check it when i get home and see. I know as far as the wireless cards go the 10.0CE uses the oronoco_cs driver for v2.5 & v3.0 but i have v4.0 that why i downloaded the others...thought i may need them.

I will try the urpmi when i get home and see what results i get from that. I thought it was weird that i would have to recomplie the kernel just to have the drivers work. :wall:

You know, i was just reading the documentation on the drivers that i downloaded for my wireless card. It stated that all i should have to do is edit the "makefile" to reflect my kenel verison then install the drivers.

Gonna give that a try and see what happens without even messing with the kernel. I didn't know until i dug a little deeper that the suggestion to modify the kernel was for use with the Debian version of linux as well as a different kernel version :oops:

So the only thing left is to figure out what directory to place the drivers in :unsure: If anyone can give me a little hint i would appreciate it :D

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update. I have tried everything possible to get my wireless card to work in the past few days. I have downloaded three different zip files as well as driverloader. The only thing that seems to recognize my card is driver loader but even after installing it and entering in my license information i am still unable to get on the net with it.

I don't some digging around and found out that the card i have uses the rtl8180 chipset and the only site that has drivers for them is realtek but the driver downloads do no support my kernel version (2.6.2_3). I even edited the makefile to reflect my kernel version and i get several errors when trying to install it.

When i co into my harware setup after using driverloader it show that my card is recognized as a rtl8180 but no driver module.

If anyone has any suggestions on where i can go from here i would appreciate it. This is the only thing keeping me from dumping Windows permanently is this one problem. Other than that i may have to forget about linux for the time being and don't wnt to do that at all!

Thanks for any and all help :)