Warcraft III

I know people have gotten this to work, but it just freezes when I run it. I have other games running under the latest winex. I'm running Mandrake 9.2.

The command I'm running is:

winex3 War3.exe -opengl

Then it just hangs forever.

If I tail /var/log/messages in another window, I see the message:

kernel: no device found

when it starts. The CD is mounted, btw.

Help!

Thanks!

Moved by DragonMage from Games to Emulation

Edited by DragonMage

Tried that. It still hangs forever. The Winex forum you lnik to wasn't helpful except that it did have a post by a guy who said the removing "--" from the startup command fixed it for him. I loved the movies directory, too, to no avail.

I know this is doable...it has a "working rating" of 5 over on the Winex forums. But I don't even begin to know where to look for the problem.

WineX 3.3 was released three days ago, so maybe try upgrading.

The -opengl flag is not necessary in versions 3 and above of WineX, so you can drop that. It smells like a sound problem... just a hunch. Try disabling your sound server (OSS or ALSA) and running the game - it will obviously be quiet but if it doesn't freeze then we at least know what is causing it to.

Also checkout your WineX config file (it's under the transgaming folder in your home directory) and try running Warcraft in a window (as opposed to full screen) by modifying that file.... and then come back with your results ;)

Just remembered another thing: there are two executable files for War3, the one you are using and I think the other one is Warcraft III.exe (or something like that) - so you can also try running the other executable (although Transgaming don't recommend it.

You could also try the -nosplash flag, which sometimes clears away some of the fog for Wine.