Why do I have different problems on a new install?

thelorax

I don't really need much help but I am intrigued by my situation. I had an annoying font problem with an installation of Mandrake 10 (CE) and after much mucking around, and despite some helpful advice, I couldn't fix it, so I decided to reinstall.

I reinstalled on the same computer, with no hardware changes. The same partitions and even the same packages (I saved the package selection from the previous install).

Yet none of the issues that I had on the first install have occurred, but I have completely different problems, eg. the nvidia driver needs to be modprobed on boot (which I got around easily thanks to the useful advice contained in the forum) despite using exactly the same driver etc. So what makes that happen? Shouldn't it have had the same problems not new ones?

I think its trying to piss me off ;)

I'm right there with ya. My first install wasn't too bad. Just couldn't burn cd's. I could use the dvdrom and cdrw, just couldn't burn, but this was after 2 hours of fixing to get the cdrw to work at all. Then after all the updates my fonts were ugly. Because these 2 things are a daily function on my box I deleted ML-10-CE. There's been so many problems here that I thought maybe I could help with if I had it installed, so I reinstalled. I haven't gotten the updates yet (will in just a minute) but I can't even install from cdrom. There's no hdc or hdd. So I made symlinks. Finally got the dvd player to work and stopped. Time for updates. Oh, the first install only asked for 3 cd's. The second, asked for the 4th.

Makes no sense. Installer is confused as well as the kernel/devfs/magicdev. Oh well, such is a non-official release, eh?

Edited by bvc

The nvidia not getting modprobed has to do with how it works (or: doesn't..), that sometimes happens but has nothing to do with the linux install, merely the driver install.

It happens to me when I first install it on the regular kernel, then notice I am running the regular kernel which has no hi-mem support (anyone know why they don't just switch on 4GB support on all kernels??), then I boot the new kernel, reinstall (since it doesn't work -- it may be possible to actually copy the compiled driver over to the correct location, but anyway), then I have to modprobe nvidia or it won't work.

If the installation doesn't do the same thing twice, without your system being changed (note: a different bios setting can have some effect), there is something wrong....