Static address problems

davcbow

:wall: Hello, I am using MD 9.0 right now (plan on going to 10.0), I use SMB and NFS along with a internal network website using Apache, I also use a modem (no choise, live in the boonies) I use a static address which makes my network work great. My problem is that I cant get any throughput when I get online. I tried DHCP and it works fine but then my SMB, NFS, and Apache no longer work. I want to use static address's, so what am I doing wrong here? Please help :help:

It really depends on the size of your network. I have a similar setup and for all of our PCs I give them static addresses. My wireless access point/router gives any wireless devices a dynamic address using DHCP. A small network using up to a dozen IPs is easily handled using static IPs, so IMHO using DHCP is not very useful.

Accessing shares through SMB needs to have static IPs as Samba likely uses the /etc/hosts file or similar which all links a static IP to a hostname.

:wall: Hello, I am using MD 9.0 right now (plan on going to 10.0), I use SMB and NFS along with a internal network website using Apache, I also use a modem (no choise, live in the boonies) I use a static address which makes my network work great. My problem is that I cant get any throughput when I get online. I tried DHCP and it works fine but then my SMB, NFS, and Apache no longer work. I want to use static address's, so what am I doing wrong here?  Please help  :help:

I have 2 linux box's and a windowXP machine. It seems like it isnt finding the gateway to the modem. Im using 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and 192.168.0.3 between the 3 box's. 192,168.0.1 is the box with the modem that wont work.

Thanks dave