Kernel Location

FraterD

Hi all,

I have a quick question. I was trying last night to install a modem driver using the "make config" as instructed by the setup documentation. Everything was going fine until i got to the point where it asked for the location of the kernel. I hit enter to accept the default location but it just errored out after that.

What directory is the kernel located in for Mandrake 10.0CE?

Thanks for any and all help :D

what you're refering to is the kernel-source, which goes to /usr/src/linux-<version>

The kernel image itself is in /boot as vmlinuz-<version> and it's modules are in /lib/modules/<version>/

bvc,

Thank you very much, i will check those locations as soon as i get home from work. :D

Very much appreciated. B)

it's an rpm pkg to install, yes. As root in a terminal;

urpmi kernel-source

BVC,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I installed the source and so far so good. I just need to download new drivers now :wall: The ones i originally had were for version 2.5 of my card and i have version 4.0 :P

One more thing. When i download the new drivers it says that there are 2 different ones, one for gcc version 2.* and another for gcc version 3.2.*. My gcc on my system is version 3.3.2...will that still compile if i download the 3.2 drivers?

Thanks again :D

eewww....I d/k???

What modem?

It is a wireless card, Linksys WPC-11 v4.00. I followed a ling from http://linux.oldcrank.com which gives the setup instructions for this card and a link to download the drivers from.

After looking at the drivers the two available files state that they are for kernel 2.4.18 (gcc 2.96) and kernel 2.4.20 (gcc 3.2.2).

I know the 10.0CE runs off of a different kernel version so i don't know if these would work or not. The only drivers that linksys.com has on their site is for the earlier versions of my card. The v4.0 drivers they have are for windows :wall:

Thanks for your help and patience BVC, i really appreciate it :D