laptop dial-up connection fix

I have Mandrake 9.1 PPC installed on my PowerBook G3 1999 Lombard New World laptop. I have no internet connection. I have no network. I do have a dial-up ISP that I want to connect to using my internal modem. The drakconnect wizard auto detects my modem but fails to make a connection. I've checked out the threads and have learned that Linux has a default route pointing to a device that should be used to connect to the internet. In my case it points to my internal ethernet slot. If it points to my ethernet, kppp will not take over and make an internet connection for me using my dial-up. I ran "route" as root and got the following display:

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask flags Metric Ref Use Iface

169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

How can I change the default route so it doesn't point to my ethernet and does point to my modem? :help:

First of all you have to make your modem running, through kppp, drakconf, by hand or what ever (I can't help you on this because I do it by hand, and through debian, so better let some one else help you on this instead of confusing you more).

Normally the pppd scripts automatically set the default route to the modem, but in case they don't just run as root:

~$ route del default
~$ route add default ppp0