Mandrake 10

javabiz

Just got a new computer with dual 30 GB drives and the letest and greatest AMD 64 processor!

Features of Hardware:

1. ASUS K8V Deluxe motherboard and chipsets

VIA K8T800

VIA VT8237

2. 3 Com 3C940 Gbit Lan controller

3. South Bridge Controller supporting 2 x UtltraATA 133 connectors.

2 x SATA with RAID 0, RAID 1

4. Promise R20378 RAID controller

1 x UltraDMA 133 supports 2 hard drives

2 x Serial ATA connectors

RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 configurations

5. 3 Gb unbufferred ECC ram populated with 1 stick of 512 Mb

6. ADI AD1980 SoundMax 6-channel audio CODEC support for S/PDIF out interface.

7. 8 USB 2.0 ports

8. 1 x AGP 8X/4X

5 x PCI

1 x WiFi slot

9. Scalable Hyper-Transport Bus

My questions:

1. Will the AMD 64 bit processor (simultaneous 32/64 bit capable) work with Mandrake 10 and what limitations will it have?

2. Has anyone run the newest Postgresql 7.4 on this type of architecture and are you having any problems?

3. Has the rpm add/remove packaging been incorporated under a single softwre module?

4. Can I use my same Mandrake Club membership to download and install this software?

5. Does the above nomenclature fit the raid requirements for Mandrake 10?

6. Does Mandake 10 have any problems associated with CDroms on installation?

7. Should all 32 bit software still run without a hitch?

8. Is anyone running the same hardware above with Mdk 10?

9. Will my sound and video (built into MB) work correctly?

10 What is the advantage of going with the new kernel as default as far as software goes?

ie Will this be worth upgrading from Mandrake9.2 for faster aps, kde 3.2 and whatever the other improvements are?

Appreciate any incite into my situation!

Hello,

I have never run software on 64 bit, so take this with some reserve. I'll just state here what my understanding is:

1. As far as I know the AMD64 releases lack behind to the 32 bit releases. So I do not think that 10.0 will already run on it. But that is something that you should be able to check with Mandrake themselves. In any case you need to use another version (specifically compiled for AMD64) then the 32 bit version of Mandrake.

2. Sorry, can't help you with that one.

3. Not in 10.0, no.

4. I should think so yes. There are in any case rpms and updates available for AMD64 that you can access with the Mandrakeclub standard membership.

5. Honestly no clue.

6. There is the known problem that CD1 does not boot with a lot of CDROM drives, you can go around by booting from CD2, and once booted, switching to CD1.

7. I do not think so. It is my understanding (but I'm not too sure), that all software you use, should be compiled for AMD64. Now, this should be the case for all SW that is part of the Mandrake distro. However, SW that comes from other sources might not be compiled for AMD64. You might have to compile some stuff yourself.

8. Not me.

9. Check what the Mandrake HW Database contains on that HW.

10. Well, I don't know all the advantages of the new kernel. What I experienced on my HW that I can link directly to the kernel is that booting is faster. Don't know for the rest what is kernel, KDE, or Application related.

Hope this helped some.

Sitor

7. all 32 bit software will run fine. For any 64 bit stuff to work you need to run a 64bit kernel including all modules.... I think for instance ATI has not released 64bit linux drivers.

You can run a 64 bit kernel and 32 bit (old) software, so your old games and other stuff will still work.

Also, for Mandrake 9.2 64bit I think they want you to be a silver member...