getting updates

bigjohn

I've managed to get the mirror's for updates working OK - excellent.

The mandrake 10 community seems good, a lot quicker than 9.1 - Not sure if that's down to the 2.6 kernel or what.

Anyway, when using mandrake update, with all the options checked I was wondering if there is any way to make it, so it updates like gentoo?

i.e. when I do emerge -u nvidia (for example) it downloads the updated/newest version, installs it and then uninstall's the old.

It would be nice if anyone knows if there's a way of setting mandrake update to work like that. I don't mean writing scripts and stuff, because that's way, way over my head.

regards

John

p.s. sorry if that sounds like a stupid question

Well, I've been installing all the updates that I think I need.

But could anyone tell me if i'm looking at the update section in my mandrake control centre, am I looking at all the updates that I need for my system or am I looking at all the updates available, even if I haven't actually got XXXXXXX installed (and yes I appreciate that some of the stuff might be part of a package and I just don't use it i.e. like kdepim for example)??

regards

John

Well, I've been installing all the updates that I think I need.

But could anyone tell me if i'm looking at the update section in my mandrake control centre, am I looking at all the updates that I need for my system or am I looking at all the updates available, even if I haven't actually got XXXXXXX installed (and yes I appreciate that some of the stuff might be part of a package and I just don't use it i.e. like kdepim for example)??

regards

John

The updates that you see are only updates for the packages installed on your system.

urpmi --auto-select will update your system using the urpmi command line tool. It's interactive and it will require you to select Y/n before the update actually begins. I think there's a command line parameter to bypass the Y/n confirmation though.

urpmi.update -a will update your local cache of package names etc., similar to emerge sync in gentoo.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike.

The only reason that I asked was because there's even stuff to update gnome, and I'm sure I didn't install it. Though I figure that if something in kde needs the gtklibs etc, then maybe it's some spooky and convoluted dependency thing.

Regards

John