ML9.0 Powerpack - install hangs at kernel boot

Guest lars_skaringer

Guest lars_skaringer

Hello,

I'm trying to install ML9.0 and the kernel hangs at boot time with this as the last message:

enabled ExtINT on CPU#0

ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002

My system:

Motherboard Elitegroup K7VMM (VIA KM266 chipset, onboard gfx S3 Savage4 and onboard sound AC97)

CPU: Athlon 1200 MHz

Memory: 256 MB

I tried the kernel option mem=nopentium (or was it mem=nointel?) with no success. I also tried to load the alternative kernel alt2 (2.2.19) and then the kernel loads OK, but installation never takes off.

I have a correctly booting 2.4.16 kernel in my current installation (which is the one I want to replace), which leads me to uspect some problem in the ML9.0 installation kernel.

Any help with how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lars

Guest lars_skaringer

I got around it by using alt2 at boot (F2 + "alt2 linux"). I then recompiled kernel 2.4.19 (the supplied 2.4.19 kernel simply won't boot on my system) and things now seem to work OK. A few things still to sort out, but the system is up and running at least.

Cheers,

Lars

• 1 month later...
Guest chrisgeller

Hi there

I've had exactly the same problem. I got Mandrake 9.0 to install using an alternative cdrom boot disk image. But now the same hanging problem happens when mandrake loads up. Would your solution work here to get mandrake working? I am a newbie, so I don't know how to go about compiling the kernel. Any help would be great

Nick

Guest lars_skaringer

Compiling the kernel is not so difficult. I am not so much above newbie level myself, and I can assure you it's not a terribly complex thing to do. Go to www.kernel.org, get the latest 2.4 kernel and follow the README file. Just be sure to make a boot floppy first to test it.

Cheers,

Lars

• 3 weeks later...

of course. on machine i was installing ml9 'alt2' option did not work. :cry:

i was able to get installation screen on alt1 which is kernel 2.4.14. installation was kinda alright until NIC detection... which ML dropped an error about insmod in sum kinda perl script... not sure what was the meaning :)

after finishing installation the system just wouldn't boot up after lilo screen.

any ideas?

will machine config make sense to any of you?

ECS Elitegroup K7VMM2

SDRAM 128MB

HDD 20 Gb Seagate

nutin else to mention since video is integrated as is NIC

marcic

NEVER BUILD A SINGLE MACHINE ON ECS M/B...