WMV files and Xine

kmc77

Here's the problem. I'm trying to get xine to play wmv files. I went to xine's website, downloaded the rpm and installed it. Now I get sound, but no video. I read another post with the same problem, but his solution (changing the video driver) didn't work for me. Running MDK 9.2 right now if that means anything. I'm just learning to use Linux, so please excuse any questions that seem dumb. There's most likely going to be a few more over the next couple of days.

Do you know what soundserver you are using? Also, arts, esd, ... ? You can see this by going into the soundpreferences of xine and look at the available options...

Is there a program that is using the sound already (maybe using another soundserver than xine ...if it is a kde-program ...can be, or gnome ... which program is it if so?)?

If your running 2 programs with 2 different soundservers, this will not work (bu can be made to work together).

You're in kde? Try another soundserver with xine ... Don't know the gui you are using, but on the commandline:

xine --help

(you need to have installed xine-ui for this)

will list all soundserver available... If you a in kde try arts, in gnome (with gnome-programs) esd, ...and see if yo get sound.

Arts and esd can mix the sound together from different apps, so can alsa, but you have to add some text for it in a config-file. Maybe in the really current versions it's done automatically. Alsa is the "new" soundsystem. It's quite good. I just discovered that you can let apps that use esd, or arts also use alsa. by specifying some extra things in the config file ..this way you don't have to worry about wether the program uses arts or esd. Also can also emulate oss (oss is also a soundsystem).

Don't know really about arts, arts can emulate esd as far as I know. I use Alsa myself, because it is quite good. I don't dear to say better, but it's quite good.

This for some info on soundsystems if you didn't know :).

Alle apps using same soundserver? ok

using arts, esd or alsa with dmix-plugin(this si the plugin for letting different apps share 1 sounddevice if you're card doesn't support hardware-mixing: you have to have some extra things in /etc/asound.conf or in ~/.asound.conf(not sure about last name))?

ok

Sound not muted? arts and esd I'm not sure (if needed ...), with alsa: type alsamixer on commandline (exit to get out of it and save results). See if thinsg are not muted(main channels and pcm may not be muted) or have value 0. You could also use kmix or some other gui-app for this.

I'm out of ideas at the moment:). IF YOU ONLY HAVE TROUBLE PLAYING WMV with sound and teh rest is ok in the same circumstances, you should contact the xine-maillinglist ....sinc ethere is something wrong with the program then. If you want I can send something..since I'm already subscribed to it, but it's easier if you ask yourself ofcourse since you can provide quickly requested info.

Edited by Michel

If I understand your post correctly, I believe you may have missunderstood me. The sound is working fine. I'm having trouble getting video. It's only with WMV. I use GNOME, but will try it out in KDE when I finish with this. Sorry if my post was a little confusing.