Problems with RPMDrake and Printer setup

judland

Don't know if anyone can help, but it doesn't hurt to ask.....

Installed MDK 10.0 Community today. The install went very smooth and I even got my NVidia 3D accelleration working (thanks to help from the Mandrake User Board).

However, when I wish to add another rpm repository resource to RPMDrake, I always get this message (whether I'm adding a local source or a remote source for security updates):

=================================================

Unable to add medium, erros reported:

......retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or signal 0

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "update_source"

problem reading synthesis file for medium "update_source"

[ Ok ]

==================================================

I'm also having problems with my HP 3-in-1 printer. Scanning and copying work great, but I can't get the darn thing to print. I've installed all of the latest HP drivers (from what I can tell), HPOJ and the proper .PPD. Mandrake even correctly identifies the printer when installing and setting up CUPS. However, when I go to print, the printer goes into this continuous form-feed mode and doesn't stop until I clear the CUPS pending jobs and turn the printer off.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix either of these problems?

The update mirrors for 10.0 haven't been set up as of yet. The mirror sites have added the directories for 10.0 but, since there have been no updates, no hdlist/synthesis files have been generated. We'll have to wait for the fist update before we can set up the update sources.

As for your printer, I can't offer any assistance. I have an HP PSC500 (older 3-in-1) that was automatically recognized and configured and works fine. I do have one slight problem with it -- it's connected through the parallel port during the kernel boot some data is sent to the printer causing it to print a page with a single character (a greek alpha). I can live with that for now.

I do have one slight problem with it -- it's connected through the parallel port during the kernel boot some data is sent to the printer causing it to print a page with a single character (a greek alpha). I can live with that for now.

Same problem here with my HP PhotoSmart P1000.

Re how to add an update source, see my post here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=12255

Re your printer problem, try opening a console, su to root and run:

# printerdrake

Try removing your printer and then reinstalling it with printerdrake.

Same issue with my HP DeskJet 3820 and the single character. I used to get this during install of mandrake in some earlier versions.

Quick solution: Don't turn the printer on until After bootup is completed. The printer will still work fine.

This is of course after the printer is setup. :D