10.0 CE not working on Comcast and no sound

Pain999

Pretty new to Linux, in fact this was my first attempt to install any Linux to the hard drive, but I did try a few LiveCD versions. I can get internet and sound on PC LinuxOS 2K4 without any problems, and of course with Windows XP. As I understand that distro is just a slightly reworked Mandrake 9.2 so I figured Mandrake 10.0 should work just as well or even better. I also tried Knoppix, but it seems to have the same problems connecting to the internet.

Trying to connect to Comcast Cable thru my Linksys Firewall router but I can't figure out how to get the internet configuration tool set up to detect the internet. Tried a couple of different NIC cards and the onboard NIC too, but nothing seems to work in 10.0 CE. Tried both DHCP and static ip settings, entering a gateway or no gateway, but no internet at all. I even looked carefully at how PC Linux OS 2K4 was doing it and tried to manually enter the same DHCP, Netmask, and DNS numbers but nothing seems to work :wall:

10.0 CE also does not seem to like my Soundblaster Live card which is a very standard soundcard that ought to work. It keeps saying it is disabled as it boots up. I know Windows quite well, but I don't know enough about Linux to do anything except either hope and pray it figures it out by itself, or run thru the basic configuration tools that are provided. I was really hoping to start with something simple like Mandrake to start to ween myself off Windows :help:

ECS L7VTA motherboard

512 MB DDR PC2700

AMD XP 2100+

SB Live Value

Linksys BEFSX41 router

Motorola SB4220 cable modem

For the soundcard, see if you have any onboard sound, integrated sound cards. If you do, disable them in your bios setup, these occassionally cause problems.

If that doesnt work, open up a commandline and type this:

su [ENTER]

then enter your root password and hit [ENTER]

modprobe emu10k1

Then type xmms or your favourite music player in Linux, and hit enter

try and play somethign and pass on any errors you get.

Good luck, report back if you have any probs

Just installed 10.0 on my other computer with a NForce2 chipset and a ATI 9800 and everything works!. It is connected to the same cable modem and router so at least I know that they were not the problem. The onboard soundstorm chipset even works on all 4 speakers which is something even Windows XP sometimes even chokes on!

There are a few differences in the install this time however. I chose the Network Computer client option and I installed CD4 this time. Anyone think that helped me, or was it just incompatable hardware?

Edited by Pain999