USB ADSL speedtouch modem 1/2 speed ?

lets-eat-gary

Hi people,

Just upgraded to mandrake linux 10 community. :cheesy:

Firstly i must say it looks really good, the new menu is better and the whole thing seem faster and more responsive. Also I managed to get my Nvidia geforce 3 card working (in full 3d) within about 15 minutes! Unreal 2004 demo also seemed faster.

My problem is with my Alctel speedtouch 330 ADSL USB modem (and has been since i first attempted to in MANDRAKE 9.2).

I go through the setup and i can connect to the internet but i'm only getting a max speed of 280 kbps instead of the usual 560 kbps.

Is there a file i can change to change the speed

Any help would be good -

Everybody try out Mandy 10 community !!!!!

Cheers

hmmm... there shouldn't be any throttle on the speed out-of-the-box.

Is it possible that your ISP is just a tad slower at the moment? Perhaps try again tomorrow and see if it has improved?

The only other possibility (I might be wrong on this) is that USB 1.1 as opposed to USB 2.0 is being utilised... although it shouldn't effect the speed that severely.

hi SoulSe,

Thanks for your quick response.

It is 1/2 speed for sure - i boot to windows (on the same isp) and it's normal speed, go back to mandy 10 and it's cut back to half!

Its fine when i access the internet through a LAN (with the modem in another (WINDOWS!) computer sharing it's connection).

I'm attempting to basically use linux in a box which shares it's net connection with the network - the windows box that is presently used has a tendency to crash!

Any clues ?

I have an alcatel speedtouch usb myself. Can't find the number at the moment, so it can be a little different. My download is capped at 333 kbps at my ISP and if the download-server can handle it, I can download at that speed. Maybe it's something else or the driver with your specific modem maybe. I'm using mandrake 9.1, but that shouldn't make a lot difference I think. Think the driver didn't change much.

I would suggest trying to download this iso, just to see if you get your max-speed. I get +300-333 kbps immediatly at the moment:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/arklinux.org/...so/arklinux.iso

What is your speed?

I would also suggest posting something to the speedtouch-maillinglist...should it be something internally.. I think this is their site:

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/

Sorry, I can't really help, but hopefully this helps some.

I have usb 1.1 ....so that isn't the problem (with me anyway ..it's the only usb-device attached with me...). For speed of 333 kbps not anyway.

Edited by Michel