xmms & cddb

fred_the_fish

Evening all... know that Mr Maxtor has kindly sent me a replacement HD (with an extra 20gb on it... isn't he nice.. oooooo :D) I've put mdk10rc1 on my system... everything is going fine...

EXCEPT FOR DAMN XMMS!! Xmms works fine for mp3's, mpeg, cd audio etc. But it just WILL not connect to a cddb source - keep getting an "unable to connect to cddb -server" error. The strange thing is, KsCD does cddb fine?! - using uk.freedb.org as its server. I tried this with xmms, but with no luck. Any idea's anyone?

I should point out here, that I'm sat behind a firewall, but this doesn't appear to hamper KsCD...

its doing my nut :wall::wall: ... much as KsCD is "nice"... I use xmms cause a/ oi loiks me skin b/it acutally sounds better..

#lost in cddb hell, Aberystwythl#

I'm not entirely sure why it won't connect to CDDB, there should be a variety of plugins available to make it do that, so perhaps try with another one?

I personally recommend switching to grip for listening to cds (it's good for ripping, but also for just listening) and it connects to CDDB without a problem. There is also Gnome CD player, but you're using KDE, so...

I use XMMS for what it is good for: listening to Oggs/MP3s/Streaming Radio. I also control it with my bluetooth cellphone, which is WAY fun and impressive ;)