urpmi questions

garyohanlon

I am very new to mandrake linux, have tried to install over the last year or so and am finally making headway, but have hit a snag.

have managed to get my speedtouch modem working!

have geforce card working

when using the mandrake control center to download and install packages i get the errors about contrib not being up to date and some apps install correctly, but others do not appear on my menus, and having trawled through all of the directory files can not find executables for progs like xmms and mplayer, also cd writing tools and other multimedia apps i thought i had installed...

where are the installed files and why dont they appear on the menus, how can i get for example mplayer to work using urpmi and why do the errors come up even though i have updated the source using the command line 10 minutes before, also is there other sources that i can use apart from the contrib and plf librarie,

i am very happy with mandrake 9.2 but have spent considerable time trying to get round installing apps and games and i am getting used to urpmi and see this as the way to go for me

your help is appreciated

have you updated your urpmi sources ?

If not, then go to easy urpmi and follow the instructions to select the nearest geographical mirror's etc etc. It's well explained.

The only possible bit of confusion is that when the list is downloading (after you've followed the instructions in section 3 of the link), sometimes it won't install/update one of your selections. As I understand it, this is usually because for whatever reason the server hasn't allowed your connection. all you then need to do is follow the instructions again, but only select the source that wouldn't install/load.

Then when you go to the rpmdrake+ facility in the mandrake control centre - you should see all the packages that you could ever want.

regards

John

i have done this, and again most of my packages install but there are some that dont like mplayer, (i think it installs but i cant use it and cant find it) amongst others, this is the main problem all my servers are up to date i am sure,

why doesnt kde put them in the start menu thingy