Suggestions for Recording TV

thelorax

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good software to record TV from my tv tuner card. Ideally I'm looking for something easy to use and set-up, so that my partner can use it too, i.e. no command line stuff;)

I know about Mythtv, but I don't really need something that complex (or at least it looks complex to me), as I just want to record one or two shows a week.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

I have been using Freevo (untill I upgraded to Mandrake 10.0 and can't get ivtv to work :( ) and it works great ones you get the hang of it.

The problem is editing the local_conf.py but when that is done it is easy as breathing.

Installation is easy. You can use urpmi (see the instructions on the website) and Thac has rpm's for tv_grab (also urpmi).

(If you don't have a TV card yet I recommend Hauppauge WinTV PVR250/350)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Are you having trouble getting it to work under Mandrake 10 though? I'm planning to finally upgrade from 9.0 to 10 so hopefully it goes ok.

I've already got a tv card but thanks for the suggestion.

cheers,

I haven't installed it yet since the ivtv driver for my TV card won't work (blame Mandrake for that. It is working in Gentoo :() so there is no point.

Freevo is written in python and there is basically no installation to take care off after all the dependencies are in place. There is al list of those on their website and if they don't have an urpmi repository for 10.0 you can install them manually. The same goes for tv_grab.

I installed Freevo using urpmi. I found that the 1.4.1 didn't work very well for me. I uninstalled the program and I downloaded Freevo from CVS and just copied it to /usr/local (there is a file in /etc/freevo you have to edit). It worked great (with a few minor annoyances)