synaptics touchpad

I have a Twinhead laptop with a synaptics touchpad. When I installed 9.2 it worked right away, even the tap-to-click.

Now when I upgraded to kernel 2.6.3, the tap-to-click function disappeared. I can still boot to the 2.4 kernel, and it works there...

Now please don't tell me to install the synaptics touchpad driver, since it only crashes my X server, and I've spent two days trying.

I still want to use 2.6 because of the improved ACPI support, but if it's more laptop-friendly then why is it worse off than 2.4 on the synaptics touchpad? :wall: I'm going to try a kernel patch... :(

I know, this post isn't really going anywhere...but I'd like to hear people's experiences with the synaptics touchpad, and how laptop-friendly is Mandrake 10.0?

I have an Acer TravelMate 270 with Synaptic Touchpad too.

It used to work fine with Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4) but when I installed Mandrake 10.0, no way to get my touchpad working at all, not eving moving the mouse around, so I am stuck for the time being. I tried all drivers available but nothing change. I am reallly disapointed and looking for a solution.

:(

According to bugzilla, this is a known bug from kernel 2.6. I will try to install kernel 2.4 then...

thanks, but I already solved it (I'm still on 9.2 but on kernel 2.6)

there's a SMALL requirement I missed, it was having EVDEV loaded as a module before X server starts.

So other users please take note...modprobe evdev first! put it in modprobe.preload so that X won't crash.