startx doesn't work after clean install of MDK9.0

Guest silvalen

Guest silvalen

I recently installed MDK9.0 on my computer with no problems. The only slightly odd thing about my install is that I left my old home partition (from MDK8.2) on the hard drive and didn't format it. Now when I type startx after logging in, I get a blank screen. Nothing I try to do from then on works (such as CTRL + ALT + Fn keys or CTRL + ALT + BKSPC). Things seem to work at the command line level, but I'd really like to get KDE or GNOME working. I have a nagging suspicion that the problem might be with my onboard NVIDIA card, but whatever it is didn't happen with MDK8.2. I checked my XF86Config-4 file and it looks alright (with Driver "nvidia" rather than "nv"). I don't even know how to try to select different video cards or monitors from the command line. Also, when I did the install, there was no option to test the screen output once I had selected the card, monitor and resolution I wanted. Any help would be appreciated.

Computer stats are as follows:

900 MHZ Celeron

384 MB RAM

NVidia Onboard Aladdin TNT2 card

Sony CPD-E400 monitor

CMI8783 soundcard

SiS 900 PCI ethernet

40 Gig Maxtor HD

Guest tim_whitmore

I'd try setting the driver to the standard "nv", I had a similar problem with the "nvidia" drivers, and it was linked to a problem with the "GLX" module which the "nvidia" driver uses.

Tim

I'd try setting the driver to the standard "nv", I had a similar problem with the "nvidia" drivers, and it was linked to a problem with the "GLX" module which the "nvidia" driver uses.

Tim

If that is really so, just re-install BOTH parts of the NVidia driver - both kernel one and GLX one. It may be just well that the GLX part of the NVidia driver got overwritten by Mesa during the install.

Guest silvalen

I wouldn't say that I'm exactly happy with XFree 3.3.6. I can't seem to get any 3D software to work (glxgears, tuxracer, etc.). It is my understanding that I have to use XFree4.x for the NVidia drivers to work properly with 3D...if that is so, does anyone have any suggestions?

XFree 4.2.1 always gives me a blank screen when I try startx. I went so far as to try installing XFree4.2.0 from files I downloaded and I got the same blank screen when I tried startx. What really bugs me is that the XFree version that came with Mandrake 8.2 worked and I could get my Nvidia drivers to work properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

My installed Nvidia drivers are as follows:

NVIDIA_kernel-2.4.19-16mdk-1.0-3123.1mdk

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.1mdk

and my XF86Config-4 file has the Driver "nvidia" line instead of "nv"

Hardware:

900 MHZ Celeron

384 MB RAM

NVidia Onboard Aladdin TNT2 card

Sony CPD-E400 monitor

CMI8783 soundcard

SiS 900 PCI ethernet

40 Gig Maxtor HD