weird adsl connection

hixikyom

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my Internet connection under linux. My ISP is Pluset(uk). The problem appears when i'm surfing or using any other program that access the Internet, after download a few pages or files the connection stops. This mostly occours when the files are big or when the webpage contains a lot of images.

When this happens I can not even access the modem-router setup page or ping it (the router is an Alcatel version 3881). But if I wait a few minutes or if I restart linux (logout does not work) the connection is back again. This happened to me under Mandrake 9.2,9.1 and Suse 8.9, and with different browsers or ftp clients, including Mandrake update. I checked the connection at the same time in my other computer (windows xp) and I have normal access.

The computer i'm having problems with is a Toshiba laptop Tecra 8200. Could it be a problem with MTU? is there any test i can run? :help:

Thanx.

So you are plugged on the router with a eth correct ?

What is the card ?

I had similar problem with an Intel Ether Express Pro card with the free eepro driver: it used to freeze after a few Mb. Was solved using the proprietary Intel's driver: .. hem, don't remember the name .. yes: e100 I'm almost sure.. post again if your card is a Intel Ether Express Pro, I can check tonight or tomorow to be sure.

Yes, I'm connected using enthernet, the card is an Intel Pro/100 VE (taken from windows control panel, I need to check properly). I'm new to linux so... i'll need some time to learn how to install the drivers :P Do you know where i can find the drivers and instructions to install them?

Many thanx for the advice :thumbs:, this problem was driving me crazy :wall:

Edited by hixikyom

for now you can try puting e100 instead of eepro in /etc/modules.conf

I'm just 80% sure the name of the intel driver is e100, will check in a few hours.

bad luck: the free driver (eepro) is fine but don't works well ONLY with one chipset version AND if connected on a 10Mb only network. At first, if I remember well what I've read a while ago, it's a chipset bug.

good luck